The historic marker at old Inglish cemetery was unveiled by Miss Inez Inglish, granddaughter of the pioneer, Bailey Inglish, who gave the ground for the cemetery in 1837. Preliminary to the unveiling, Miss Inglish gave a brief history of the cemetery and expressed appreciation of the descendants of Bailey Inglish for the occasion memorializing his memory.
The marker for Inglish cemetery was purchased by the Bonham State bank, the First national bank and from the Cemetery fund, and the pole on which it will be erected was given by Mrs. Joe Lyle of Bonham.
Mrs. James Holman of Honey Grove, a descendant of Andrew Daugherty, a pioneer who was massacred by the Indians and is buried in the cemetery, told of the massacre. W. O. Cravens of Honey Grove, also a kinsman of Daugherty, gave the benediction. The Rev. Fitzhugh Talbot, pastor of the First Methodist church, gave the invocation.
Among the introductions were Miss Martha Comer, Gainesville, a great-great-great-granddaughter of Bailey Inglish; Kay and Danna Inglish, daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Dan Inglish of Fort Worth and great-great-granddaughters of Bailey Inglish, and some 15 other members of the Inglish family from over the state.
The cemetery marker stands near the east entrance gate and is worded: "Inglish Cemetery, 1838-1964, County's oldest. Bailey Inglish donaated plot near old Fort Inglish (called Bois d' Arc, later Bonham).
County's oldest. Bailey Inglish donated plot near old Fort Inglish (called Bois d'Arc, later Bonham).
Pioneers buried here include 1938 Indian massacre victims Andrew Daugherty, Wm. McCarthy, 1836 Fannin County colonizers Bailey Inglish and Daniel Rowlett, and Texas Revolution veteran James Tarleton.
Location: 9th and Lynn Streets, Bonham
More information about the Inglish Cemetery is on the website of the Fannin County Genweb.