Fannin County, Texas

Sears Home to be Honored Sunday


On a slight rise, just east of the Whitewright city limits, stand the "Black Tom" Sears home - one of three buildings to be honored Sunday afternoon by the Fannin County Historical Committee.  Mr. and Mrs. Robert Sears live in the home today.


The home, painted white from the peak of the roof to the foundation, has been a landmark in the area since built.


Thomas H. Sears, son of pioneer Christopher C. Sears, built his home in 1909 on a portion of his father's original land grant outside of Whitewright.


Christopher was a settler in the southwest corner of Fannin county and reared a family of two daughters, Ona, Gladys, and three sons, Claude, Byron and Robert.  The youngest son, Robert is the present day owner of the two story, Colonial style house painted white from roof to the ground steps.


The Sears home has been a show place for tourists since its construction in 1969.  Its dazzling white exterior against the black waxey cultivated Fannin county land has caught many a traveler's eye from the paved farm to market road and prompted tourists to enter the curved drive and ask for a glimpse inside the home.


As early as 1914, Thomas H. Sears came to Bonham seeking an all weather road by his house, the Bonham News reported.  Sears said he was willing to put up the money if there were no county funds available.


The interior of the Sears home is as dazzling as the exterior.  Two staircases, one in the front entrance and the other in the back hall, lead to upstairs bedrooms.  Nine fireplaces have carved mantles and antique mirrors reflect the beauty of the family heirlooms.


A large dining table is a reminder of the many family dinners held there with distinguished visitors from Grayson college.


The sturdy construction, sound lumber, and excellent workmanship of the 1909 home appears the same today as it was 55 years ago when first built.

Sears Home

Marker Text:


Colonial style home built by T. H. Sears, son of Christopher C. Sears, pioneer.  Situated on part of original land grant.  Show Place since 1909.


Directions:


From Trenton, take FM 151 (1 mile north of SH 11) 6 miles.


‚Äč