In 1837, Bailey Inglish moved his family to this area from western Arkansas, where he had been an influential leader of pioneer settlers. Here he was active in the formation of Fannin County, serving on the Land Board and later as Chief Justice. To guard against repeated Indian raids, he built a fort on his land for area residents. First known as Bois d'Arc, became Bonham. Inglish was instrumental in its early growth through active public service and donations of land for town lots, a cemetery, and a female seminary.
Location: At the corner of Sam Rayburn & Chinner St. in front of Fort Inglish Museum.
Read more about Bailey Inglish in the Handbook of Texas.