house where he first lived. Afterwards a block house, called Fort Inglish, was erected, where this good old man lived, with open doors that ever gave a hospitable entertainment to all who chose to enter, up to the time of his death, wbieh occurred on the _ day of Sept., 1867, Robert Inglish, his son, then ten years of age. and who now resides in our city, and his brother Horton. now deceased, came with their father, the rest of the family coming the next year. Of the family then in existence, Robert Inglish, Mrs. Thos.Cowart and Mrs. George Grant are the only survivors. Judge John B. Simpson settled here a few months afterwards, and lived in and near Bonham until his death, which occurred about three years ago. From the settlement of these two families commenced the town of Bonham, then a wilderness surrounded by savages, now a flourishing city of nearly six thousand inhabitants. The growth of this place is continuous and rapid; not, however, to the extent to make it of the mushroom order, but a solid growth that maintains its foothold, and gets larger and larger all the time. There arc 117 business houses in the city, sixty of which are brick and the remainimg wooden. There are fourteen dry goods stores, thirty groceries and confectioneries, five hardware. three drug, three millinery,three jewelry, six saloons, five barber shops, three tailoring establishments, four furniture stores, two music dealers, two gunsmith and machine shops, three lumber dealers, six livery•tables, three feed stores, two carriage dealers, two carriage and wagon manufactories. four market houses, two dealers in timbers and poles, one ice and beer house, one steam planining mill and wood works, three book stores, one sewing machine depot, two photograph galleries. one marble yard, twelve law offices, three wagon yards, two banks, eight doctors, two dentists, three news papers, two bakeries, five hotels, eight restaurants, ten cotton buyers, two laundries. three dairies, one broom factory, two blacksmith shops. There are three colleges viz: Carlton College, Masonic Female Institute and Fannin College. Mrs. Jennie Candras. Mrs. Sallie Biggerstaff, Mrs. Stephenson and Mrs. Wheeler each have established good schools that are well patronized. Mrs. H. G. Evans has established a music school that is well patronized. The colored people have three good schools that are well conducted and largely patronized. In regard to churches, there are eleven church houses, seven belonging to the whites and four to the colored people. The denominations that have church buildings are Episcopalian, Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Cumberland Presbyterian and Christian, the latter haviug two houses of worship, one on Main street the other in South Bonham.
The business transacted by the T. & P. railroad at this place during the pastl year, up to Nov. 1st:
Sale of tickets: $26, 831.54
Freight receipts 95,858.38
Car loads of coal rec'd 750
CAR LOADS SHIPPED
Scrap Iron 34
Mill irons 11
Railroad material 17
Beer kegs 13
Cotton seed 33
Miscellaneous merchandise 10
Household goods 2
Seed cotton 9
Track material 36
Telephone poles 25
Emigrant goods 2
Cotton shipments for the year ending August 31st, bales, 24,405
There arc two banks in the city: Fannin County bank, with a paid up capital stock of $100,000, with S. B. Allen, president, W. W. Russell, vice-president, Geo. A. Preston, cashier. Its officers have managed its affairs well, and have made it one of the most solid and paying institutions of the county. Tbs business transacted over the counters of this bank during the past twelve mouths has amounted to $10,000,000.
First Natioual bank established in 1884, with W. A. Nunnelee. president; M. W. Halsell, vice-president; A. B. Scarborough, cashier. Paid up capital $60,000. This bank has been prosperous; and is in the hands of good, safe business men. A dividend of 12 per cent. was declared last January. The business transactions of the bank for the last twelve months amounted to about $11,000,000.
BUILDING AND LOAN ASSOCIATION
The Building and Loan association with a capital stock of $100,000 is one of the best institutions of the country by reasn of the fact that it enables many persons to make improvements that otherwise would or could not do so, it therefore while lining a good business for itself aids greatly in building up the city.
The Bonham investment company is doing a good business. making a handsome profit on the capital in use. It purchases land notes and loans money.
There are three insurance agencies in the place representing about twenty-five eompanies and have insured property to the value of over $1,000.000 during the present year.
Secret orders are as follows: Free Masons, Odd Fellows, Legion of Honor, Knights of Houor, Knights of Pythias, Knights of Labor, Woman''s Christian Temperance Union and Eastern Star.
MILLS AND GINS.
There are three steam mills and two steam cotton gins. As good flour is manufactured at Bonham as can be made anywhere.
The schools are all in a flourishing condition and no town in the state offers superior advantages for education — in fact, none offer equal advantages. In addition to having every facility for acquiring an education, the morals of the people and their general intelligence bring greater and bettor than that of any other town or city, makes it one of the most desirable for the education of the young.
The character and standing of the business men, at home and abroad, is one to be envied. Strict integrity, honorable dealing and promptness in meeting their demands has given them a reputation far and near, such as the business men of few towns ever gain.
The city of Bonham is duly incorporated under the general incorporation laws of the state, embracing a territory two miles square. The government is vested in a mayor, ten aldermen, secre-
BITS OF HISTORY OF DODD.
The town dates its birth from the arrival of the Texas & Pacific railroad in the latter part of 1873. Its first name was Quincy, which was changed to Dodd in honor of Maj. E. H. Dodd, through the intervention of Mr. Luke Smith. The postoffice, however, was applied for and received as Dodds, the first postmaster being in the person of Mr. S. D. McGee.
The first agent was — Wheat; the first telegraph operator being Mr. E. N. Phillips.
The town was incorporated in 1879. Dr. O. H. Caldwell being elected first major.
The first building erected in Dodd was for saloon purposes, the next was for a family grocery, owned by Messers. J. M. Nunn and F. D. Stewart.
Maj. E. H. Dodd is probably the oldest Texan in the county. The Major moved to Texas in 1839, and to his present home in 1852.
The first postoffice in this section was kept at Maj. Dodd’s house by Mrs. Dodd and called Lick. It was established in 1841 but was abandoned when the war broke out.
Named in honor of Wisdom Gober, now deceased, is situated on the head waters of Sulphur, about ten miles southeast of Bonham. It has a population of 150,is a lively, active, progressive little town, has a postoffiee, three stores, one church building, one school building, three blacksmith and wood shops, two physicians, one gin and mill. A good school is kept up all he time. The fine limestone quarries at this place are destined to be quite a factor in its general prosperity. The surrounding country is composed of black land, very fertile and productive. The farmers have handsome comfortable homes and are industrious and prosperous. Unimproved land is worth from twelve to eighteen dollars per acre, improved land is worth from twenty to thirty-five.
Is twelve miles south of Bonham on the Greenville and Bonham road, it has one store, post-office. blacksmith and wood shop, good school house used for school and church purposes. The country surrounding Portland is beautiful and lovely as the heart could desire. Looking in every direction as far as the eye can see is farm after farm and dotted thick with neat dwellings, large barns and fine orchards. The soil is inexhaustible producing corn, oats, wheat, barley, cotton, fruits and vegetables.
Bailey is a new town just recently founded by Dr. Bailey, and is situated seventeen miles southwest from Bonham, on the Saint Louis, Arkansas and Texas railroad. It has one store of general merchandise, a blacksmith shop, and a postoffice, besides several houses that are being erected for occupancy by men who are preparing to go into business there. The country around Bailey is in every respect similar to that around Portland. Bailey being situated on the railroad, and being in a county every acre of which is susceptible of cultivation, surrounded by an industrious, energetic, prosperous, intelligent progressive people is destined to be a good little town where much business will be done. The country around it will not only justify but demands that it be a place of considerable business. Land around Portland and Bailey is worth from twenty to thirty dollars per acre.
Trenton is situated in the southwestern portion of the county, on the Missouri Pacific railway, sixteen miles from Bonham. It is in the black waxy land, and around it are some of the finest farms in the South, yielding, in 1887, from fifty to seventy-five bushels of corn per acre, from twenty to forty bushels of wheat, from sixty to eighty bushels of oats, and from oue-half to one bale of cotton.
The population of the town is about 350. The business houses are distributed as follows: Two dry goods stores, one hardware store, one drug store, four grocery stores, one saloon, one saddle and harness house, two blacksmith shops, one wood shop, two hotels, one cotton gin and saw mill, one roller flour mill, one millinery store, one livery stable and a barber shop. The town has a good school and a church building. There are three resident physicians.
During the past season the place shipped 600 bales of cotton, 5,000 bushels of corn, 10,000 bushels of oats, 2,000 bushels of wheat and 4,000 bushes of cotton seed.
Land is worth from $25.00 to $50.00 per acre, and are increasing in price all the time. There is no section of country in Texas that surpasses in fertility and productiveness that around Trenton.
Monkstown is situated twenty-five miles north-east of Bonham on what is known as Blue prairie. Ths town is surrounded by a rich and productive farming country. It has one store of general merehandise. one drug store, one saloon, a blacksmith and wood shop, a steam gin and mill, a Masonic hall and a good church building used for both church and school purposes. Esq. Gross resides and holds his court in Monkstown. The population is about 150. The soil of the surrounding country produces corn, oats, wheat and cotton to perfection. Vegetables and fruits grow well. Land is worth from $8.00 to $10,00 per acre.
Ragsdale is situated near the banks of Red river, twenty-three miles north of east from Bonham, and about five miles north-west of Monkstown. It is in a rich sandy country, surrounded by an abundance of fine timber. The country is well watered. There are many fine farms and excellent farmers in this section. Lands are worth from $5.00 to $20.00 per acre. The land is so rich and so easy of cultivation that a healthy man need not work more than half of his time to make as much produce as he can gather.
The town has one store of general merchandise doing a good business, a postoffice, a blacksmith and wood shop, and a large and commodious school building that answers for both church and school purposes.
Ivanhoe is situated on the Bonham and Island Bayou road just ten miles north of Bonham. It is just in the edge of the timber, while south, east and west lies stretched out a grand prairie. The
tary. treasurer, assessor and collector, marshall;, city attorney and such number of policemen as the council chooses to appoint.
The present officers are E. L. Agnew, mayor; Smith Lipscomb and M. W. Halsell aldermen ward No. 1; A. J. Clendenen and B. C. Saunders, aldermen ward So. 2; J. B. Shortridge and B. F. Dyer, aldermen ward No.3; J. B. Holmes and J. IT. Ewing, aldermen ward No. 4; O. A. Reich and C. H. Harwell, aldermen ward No. 5; W. B. Hamilton, marshal; B. C. Thurmond, city attorney: John Boyd, assessor and collector of taxes; J. K. Blair, secretary and J. C. Finney, treasurer.
During the present year the city has completed the building of a fine brick hall, two stories high, forty feet front and sixty feet deep. The county jail, situated on State street, is a commodious and handsome stone structure. The new court house that is now being erected, when completed, will be one of the most, magnificent three story stone structures in the state.
The east side of the square has been built up, a solid brick business block, during the year 1887. Besides these four other brick business houses have been built on North Centre and North Main streets. Hundreds of new residences have been constructed, and many old ones have been remodeled. Extensive cotton platforms and several new rail road offices have been erected by the Texas Pacific railroad, and it is understood that a new depot is to be built some time soon.
For two years S. B. Howard has conducted a stock fair, in which he has given premiums to the owners of horses and mules. These fairs have had a tendency to awaken among the people a desire for a county fair, and a joint stock company has been formed to forward the project. Suitable grounds have been purchased north from the city about a mile and a half, and the association will work to improve the grounds and give its first fair next fall.
During the year 1886 Fannin County Bank transacted over its counters business to the amount of $8,619,508.50. Last year the transactions, as above stated, amounted to about $10,000,000, an increase of $1,380,492.50.
The First National Bank’s business in 1886 amounted to $8,122,807. For last year it was about $11,000,000; an increase of $2,877,193.
The cash received at the Texas and Pacific railroad depot at this place in 1886, from the sale of tickets, and freight receipts amounted to $116,089.31. Last year the amount was $122,689.92; an increase of $6,600.61.
The number of car loads of freight shipped from this place in 1886 was 578. For the year 1887 it was 821; an increase of 243 car loads. This does not include the shipments of cotton.
The only military company of the city is the Fannin Guard, J. E. Muchert, captain, organized in 1886. Its guns and uniforms are all new and in good order.
The company drilled at the Dallas fair last year, and made a splendid appearance for a new company. It bids fair to become one of the best companies in the state.
Ravenna is situated on the Denison, Bonham & New Orleans railroad, on the foot hills of the great divide between Red river and Bois d’Arc creek. It is nine miles north of Bonham, six miles south of Red river, thirteen miles east of Savoy, and eleven miles west of Ivanhoe, thus having a radius of eleven miles each way for trade purposes.
L. B. Grogan and Daniel Grogan were the original founders of the town, building residences and a steam mill here in 1875. G. A. Monckton erected the first storehouse.
One of the earliest settlers of this section was Alonzo Larkin, a native of New York, and a remarkable man in his day. He had been a peddler, a circus clown, a stock raiser and a miser. He died in 1863. Joseph Sowell, another old settler, lies on the banks of the River, killed by an Indian arrow at Old Warren, in 1840. Wyatt Kennedy, an old timer of eccentric habits lived near the location of the town. He killed Thos. Journey at Old Warren in 1845. Many prominent men were early settlers in this section; such as Drs. J. R. Reed and J. C. Smith, Allen Agnew, Col. Gideon Smith, J. D. Black, Mr. Rainey (now of Marshall.) James Rowland and Capt. John Vankirk. All of these have crossed the deep, dark river save three, viz; Vankirk, Rainey, and Col. Smith.
Less than twelve years ago the hills upon which Ravenna now sits were covered with a luxuriant growth of prairie grass waist high and interspressed with flowers of every color and odor, from cardinal red to spotless white with all the variations and blendings. It was haunted by wild beasts and. traversed by the wandering Comanche and Kiowa who roamed through woodland and o’er prairie in search of the long horned elk, the powerful buffalo, the bounding deer and occasion!y laying aside the pipe of peace took up the tomahawk and buried it in the brain of his pale-faced brother: Forty years have passed and the echoes of their war whoop have ceased to strike terror into the hearts of loving mothers and helpless children. Their rude wigwams have been replaced by beautiful dwellings; their hunting grounds have been furrowed by the plough share of civilization. The only relics of them that remain to us are a few houses that bear the marks of terrible seiges. To these we sometimes lead our children to impress upon their minds how great were the privations and sufferings of the early settlers who struggled to give us our beautiful homes. Instead of a sea of waving grass, standing upon the hills of Ravenna we now feast our eyes upon a scene beautiful in it variety. At a glance we see the curling smoke rising from two hundred mad fifty cottages in the midst of fertile fields, where are growing side by side cotton, corn, wheat and other cereals,
The beautiful little city of Ravenna, in point of wealth, according to its population excelling any town of its size in North Texas, crowns the highest crest and possesses jewels the most valuable in her schools and churches. To the poor man Ravenna is a haven of rest. To him improved lands are offered at from eight to ten dollars per acre; unimproved at from four to six; and all he must needs do to amass a sufficient competency is to exert his energies.
The principal productions are cotton, corn, wheat, oats, rye and barley. As a fruit country it rivals the famous orchard lands of Kentucky and Ohio. Hundreds
Its History in Brief From its Organization to the Present Time.
Fannin County was organized in the year 1838. The first court was held at the house of Jacob Black, that being the place provided by law for holding until another location could be selected. Court convened February 26, 1838, John G. Jouett being chief justice. The attorneys present and practicing were Wm. M. Williams and Daniel Rowlett.
Administrators upon following estates were appointed:
The estates of Wm. Hoyman, Patrick Fitzgerald, Enos Murphy, WM. Howard, Anderson Clifft, Carter Clifft, Wm. Garretson, Chas. Smith, Celinder Spencer, John Roaman, James Garland, William Womack, Jas. Dalton and Eli Sweeden.
Court continued to be held at this place until July 20th, 1839, when it was held at Warren.
From the 30th of March 1840 until the 29th of March, 1841, Joseph Murphy was chief justice of the county; Mabel Gilbert and J. O'Neal, associate justices. On the 29th of March, 1841, Bailey Inglish as chief justice, held his first court. In June 1842 he was succeeded by Jas. R. O'Neal.
On the 27th of February, 1843, just six years after the organization of the county, the last court was held at Warren. On the 27th of March, 1843, Bois d'Arc having been selected as the county site, the first court was held at that place.
Thos. Jonett was clerk of the county court from its organization until the 30th of October, 1843, when he was succeeded by Roswell W. Lee.
On February 26th, 1844, the name of the county site having been changed from Bois d'Arc to that of Bonham, the first court at that place was held, with John P. Simpson (who had previously been sheriff) presiding as chief-justice.
of large orchards are already bearing, and thousands of young trees are being planted annually. For vineyards it equals those of the Rhine or the Danube.
The real founders of the place are Palmore & Cunningham, successors to Monckton, who do a merchandising business of $40,000 annually. Life and energy distinguish them in their every movement. J. W. Cravens and J. F. Anthony are the polite gentlemen who stand behind their counters ready to exchange goods for the cash at any time. Drs. Pickens and Cunningham and M. O. Morrow have associated themselves and will run a drug store, in connection with the practice of physic and surgery.
Ravenna has a population of about 350, and is growing rapidly. She has two dry goods stores, one drug store, one grocery store, one blacksmith shop, one steam gin and mill, two wood shops, two meat markets, one boot and shoe shop, one livery stable, one saddle and harness house, two hotels, one photographer, four contract ors and builders, one railroad and depot, one telephone line, three churches—Baptist, Methodist and Christian—four doctors and two preachers; also a college in flourishing condition, presided over by Prof. G. L. Marshall, a young man of superior learning and teaching capacity, who is assisted by Miss Katie Wolfe, a young lady well fitted for the position. Next year a college building will be erected.
Towns are only what their inhabitants make them. Ravenna exhibits much pluck. About nine months ago she made a donation of $4,000 dollars and right of way for seven miles to the D. B. & N. O. railroad, to have it run by the town and establish a depot. In the last annual we predicted that Ravenna would be a station on this road, and now we predict that within the next twelve months she will have the Fort Worth, Sherman & Author Air Line.
Honey Grove Herald, ably edited by J. M. Terry, is published every Friday; The Texas Citizen, edited by Jno. B. McCraw, is a spicy well edited semi-weekly. Both editors are full of vim and energy, their papers are a credit to the town.
The Honey Grove Compress Company was organized in May and incorporated in July, ’86, with a capital stock of $50,000, divided into 500 shares of $100 each. The present building was erected in '86 and a Simplex press purchased, but on trial proved a failure. The press now in use is the Morse, ninety inch cylinder, and is one of the most powerful compresses in the United States. It is located at the crossing of the T. and P. and G. C. and Sante Fe railroads. The building is of corrugated iron, 100 x 125 feet, with a platform extending 250 feet connecting with both railroads. The capacity of the press is ninety bales per hour. The value of the plant is $40,000. Weight of compress is 400,000 pounds. From Sept. 15 to Dec. 1, '87 , 27,500 bales of cotton were compressed.
The officers are, W. E. Stephens, president; T. J. Gwaltney, vice-president; K. T. Piner, secretary; Young Burgher, treasurer.
This is the only compress in Fannin county, and the second in size in the United States, The company expects to compress at least 60,000 bales this season.
The Texas & Pacific railroad company are boring an artesian well near their depot in this city. They have reached a depth of 800 feet or more and will continue until they reach a depth of 1,200 feet unless they strike a sufficient supply of water sooner.
The Honey Grove Mill and Gin Company was incorporated in April, 1887, capital stock $60,000; size of building 45 x 60 feet; engine and boiler rooms 32 x 45 feet; the building is a three story, with basement, foundation is of stone laid on the stone underneath the earth's surface, and has a metal roof. This mammoth milling company commenced operation December 1, 1887. Its capacity is 100 barrels per day. The sample of flour from this mill compares favorably with any mill in the state.
The officers are: M. A. Galbraith, President; B. O. Walcott, Vice-President and Secretary; T, U. Cole. Treasurer.
The First National Bank of Honey Grove, was organized in February, 1883, with a cash capital of $50,000, succeeding the Honey Grove Banking Association, organized in March, 1882, that organization succeeding the Banking House of A. G. Stobaugh & Co., organized in May, 1877. In January, 1885 the First National increased its capital stock to $75,000. Annual business from December 1, 1886, to December 1, 1887, $17,693,114.19; cash capital, $75,000.00; surplus fund. $25,000.00; undivided profits $11,575.43. Officers, C. W. T. Weldon, President; W. Underwood, Vice-President; T. U. Cole, Cashier; R. J. Thomas, Assistant Cashier.
The Exchange Bank of Honey Grove, W. D. Wilkins & Co., Bankers, opened a bank in the Wilkins building in January, 1886, with a capital stock paid in of $15,000. Since then it has adopted the name of Exchange bank of Honey Grove. Amount of business for the twelve months ending December, L 1887, is $1,672,830.59.
The town of Dodd is situated directly between Bonham and Honey Grove, being six miles east of the former and ten miles west of the latter. It occupies quite a sphere in county politics, being the centre of a precinct densely populated by an intelligent and prosperous people. It is also the recognized centre of Fannin County. It is built on black waxy land, and the land for several miles around it is of the same nature. These lands are in a high state of cultivation, and have a marketable value of from $15.00 to $35.00. Dodd City has a population of about 500, and does an annual business of $350,000 or $400,000. Its elevation is greater than that of any other town in the county, being equalled by only one other point on the Texas and Pacific railroad between Texarkana and Sherman. This town has bought about 2,000 bales of cotton this season. Of grain and cotton seed she has shipped, during 1887, 100 cars, 16 cars of hay, 5,000 or 6,000 pounds of wool and an equal amount of hides: a pretty good showing in that line. Dodd has one gin, one grist mill, with several other gins contiguous to town, one livery stable, two hotels, one general merchandise store, two blacksmith shops, two confectioneries, one grain and lumber dealer, four organized churches, viz:'Methodist Episcopal South, Baptist, Presbyterian, and Cumberland Presbyterian, with two church buildings owned by the Baptist and Cumberland Presbyterians; three lodges: Masons and Odd Fellows, Knights o f Honor, the two former owning their halls, five grocery stores, two drug stores, one saloon, one furniture store, one dry goods store, one cotton firm, one barber shop, one school building in which is conducted the Dodd City High School, with an enrollment of 170 pupils. It is presided over by Prof. B. L. Robinson and wife. Four physicians, Loan and Exchange Association, one newspaper, the “Spectator,'” an 8-column folio, founded in January, 1883 by Mr. I. T. Stevens, was sold to the citizens and business men of Dodd in the fall of 1885, when it was given into the charge of Frank Brazelton. a Fannin county boy who still has charge of it. The Spectator is strictly a Democratic newspaper, which enters with a zest into all political discussions.
The Loan and Exchange Association was incorporated in February, 1885, by the business men of Dodd, to fill a long felt need of a bank.
Dodd City has plenty of water, (when there is any in the country.) and is free from the dust prevalent in the sandy sections.
One of the documents placed in the cornerstone of the Fannin County Courthouse in 1888 was the Bonham News Annual of 1888.
The copy that was actually placed in the cornerstone has not been located.
However, thanks to Kim Burpo of the Rayburn Library and the Brisco Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin, we have obtained a scan of the document. Selected pages are shown and transcribed on this page. The entire document can be viewed at a higher resolution HERE.
Delba is situated in the south-west part of the county, nineteen miles from Bonham. It has a postoflice, a store of general merchandise, a school house, a church house. The country around the town is like all that portion of the county—a black waxy soil which is very productive, and which is worth from $15 to $35 per acre.
Valley Creek is twelve miles south of Bonham. It has one store, one steam gin and mill, a planing mill where spokes and other wagon timbers are put up, a church building, a union school house, and has a population of 200. Plenty of timber convenient; land is very rich, very productive and worth from $25 to $55 per acre.
Nobility is situated in the south part of the county, about five miles south-west of Leonard and twenty miles south of Bonham. It has two stores, a school house and church, a mill and gin, a blacksmith and wood shop. It is surrounded by as productive land as the world affords, the soil being black waxy. It yields from fifteen to forty bushels of wheat, fifty to a hundred bushels of oats, forty to seventy-five bushels of corn and from one-half to one bale of cotton per acre. The price of land is from $25 to $50 per acre.
Ector is situated six miles west of Bonham, on the Texas and Pa-raiiwftv. It has two grocery stores, one drug store, a post-office, a school house, a grist mill and gin. The surrounding soil is black sandy,yielding in great abundance wheat, oats, corn, cotton, vegetables and fruits of all kinds. The population of the surrounding country is large, and there are many fine farms and beautiful homes. Land is worth from $25 to $50 per acre.
Arkadais about sixteen miles south of east from Bonham. It has a postoffice, a drug store, a gin and mill, a blacksmith and wood shop, a church and school house. The surrounding country is densely populated by a thrifty and prosperous class of farmers, who have fine farms, comfortable homes and many of the luxuries of life.
New Providence is situated six miles south-east of Dodd City, in a rich section of the county. The place has two stores, a good school and church house. The land is rich black waxy, very productive, yielding rich harvests of oats, wheat, corn and cotton. Land is worth from fifteen to thirty dollars per acre.
Lamaseo is situated twelve miles north-east from Bonham. It has one store of general merchandise, one drug store, a blacksmith shop, one steam grist mill and gin, a saw mill and shingle machine, a school house and church building, and a postoffice. The surrounding country is sandy, prairie and forest being about equally divided. The soil is well adapted to the production of vegetables, fruits, corn and cotton. A few years ago there were no settlers in this section; now it is settling up fast by an industrious and prosperous people. The gin owned by Mr. Iriek ginned about 500 bales of cotton during the past season.
Windom is a station on the Texas and Pacific railway eleven miles east of Bonham. It has two stores, a postoffice, a gin, a splendid school and church building. The country around is generally prairie, with sufficient forests of timber for demands. The soil is black waxy, and very rich. There are many handsome farms and a thrifty population surrounding the village. Land is worth from fifteen to thirty dollars per acre.
Leonard is situated sixteen miles south of Bonham, on the Missouri Pacific Rail way. The soil for miles around the town is the richest and most productive kind, being what is termed brush land and black waxy, which is the most productive in the state. The land sells at from fifteen to forty dollars per acre.
The town has a population of about 1000. There are three dry goods houses, four grocery stores, two stores of general merchandise, two hardware stores, one furniture store, one drug store, one confectionery, two saloons, one barber shop, one boot and shoe shop, one steam gin and grist mill, one hay press, two livery' stables, two hotels, one lumber yard, one picture gallery, one lawyer, three doctors, a good school house, three church buildings, two blacksmith and wood shops, a Masonic lodge and town hall. A large amount of business is done at this place, and some excellent business men are here.
The past year has been one of activity, and the trade has been good. Some 7,000 or 8,000 bales of cotton, besides a large amount of grain shipped.
Elwood is situated near Red River, eighteen miles north-east of Bonham. The river bottoms on the north are broad and very rich; the country south for a distance of two or three miles is sandy, and produces in abundance all kinds of grain, fruit and cotton.
There is one store of general merchandise, one grocery store, a postoffice, a school house aud a large distillery. There is not a better fruit-producing country to be found. Land is cheap, being worth from five dollars to twenty -five dollars per acre.
Is nineteen miles northeast from Bonham on the road leading from Bonham to Monkstown, has a post office, one store, a steam gin and grist, mill, school and churches near by. The country around is prairie and timber, about equally divided; the soil is gray sandy, produces well and is easy to cultivate. Land is worth from live to fifteen dollars per acre.
Tulip is situated seventeen miles east of north from Bonham on Red River. It has two saloons, blacksmith and wood shop, steam gin and grist mill, church and school buildings. The land around it is rich river bottoms, eaay to cultivate and upon which one hand can grow much more produce of all kinds than he can gather. Land is worth from eight to twenty-five dollars per acre.
Bentonville is situated six miles south of Bonham, and is named in honor of E. H. Benton. There is one general store, one drug store, a blacksmith and wood shop, a good school and church building, is located in a good neighborhood. The soil is on the black sandy order, produces well. There are many handsome farms around the place. Land is worth from fifteen to twenty-five dollars per acre.
Warren is in the north-west part of the county, twelve miles from .Bonham. At an early day it was the county site, and was the
home of some of the first settlers of the county. There is one store a blacksmith and wood shop, a gin and grist mill, and a school.
The surrounding country is as pretty as heart could desire. The soil is sandy, productive and well adapted to the growth of all kinds of grain, fruits, vegetables, cotton and tobacco. Land is worth from twenty to thirty-live dollars per acre.
Savoy is situated on the Texas & Pacific railroad, eleven miles west from Bonham, has a population of about 600, is quite an educational point, having a good college with a large attendance, Professors Halsell and Holland being the principals. It has four dry goods store, one furniture store and one hardware store, two hotels, two livery stables, one church house, two steam mills and gins, one blacksmith and wood shop, one lumber dealer, one dealer in grain, one saddle and harness dealer, and has shipped about 1,000 bales of cotton during the present season. The country around Savoy is a most excellent one, and produces an abundance of grain and cotton. Large qualities of wheat, oats and corn are shipped from this point. The citizens are noted for morality and for their energy in building up a good school. Lands are worth from twenty to thirty dollars per acre.
La Grange is nine miles north of Honey Grove, in a prosperous and densely populated neighborhood. Farming and stock raising is carried on upon an extensive scale. The soil around is black sandy, producing all kinds of grain, cotton, tobacco, fruits and vegetables. There is one store and a school house at this place.
Rainey is a postoffice, situated in a densely populated country, fourteen miles south-east of Bonham. There is a good gin and a saw mill here; the soil is of the richest and best quality, a very large portion of which is in a high state of cultivation. Good schools are kept up during the most of the year. The citizens are industrious and most excellent farmers, which fact is fully established by the immense quantity of produce they bring to market. Unimproved land sells at from twenty to twenty-five dollars; improved from twenty-five to forty dollars per acre.
Stephensville is situated eight miles east from Bonham, on the Bonham and Paris road. It is about three miles north of Dodd City; has two stores, a blacksmith and wagon shop, two steam grist mills and gins, a Masonic hall, an excellent school building and a good school. The country surrounding it is densely populated with an intelligent, industrious, moral and prosperous people. Land is rich and very productive, and is nearly all in a high state of cultivation and well improved. Land is worth from forty to fifty dollars per acre.
The chief justices, taking them in the order in which they came, were as follows: John G. Jouett, Jas. R. O’Neal, Baily Inglish, Jno. P. Simpson. Simpson presided from Nov., 1843, till Nov. 1846, when he was succeeded by Jonathan G. Thomas, who occupied the position from Nov., 1846, till August 1850, when Simpson was again elected. He now held the position until August, 1852, at which time Felix G. Faucett was elected, and served until 1854, when he was succeeded by John Crawford, who held the office until 1861. W. A. Routh was chief justice from August, 1861, until 1862. W. A. Davis was chief justice from 1862 until 1865. In 1865 R. H. Taylor was appointed by the military authorities and held the position for a few months. Jas. K. Blair held the office in 1866-7. F. D. Piner was county judge from 1867 till May, 1870. After that time the constitution of 1869 went into effect, abolishing the office of chief justice, or rather the office of county judge, the former having merged into the latter. The several justices of the peace, under the new constitution, composed the county court, which court had no jurisdiction except in regard to county matters. The justice residing at the county seat being the presiding officer. This position was first held by M. A. Knight who continued in office until his death in March, 1873. W. A. Evans succeeded Knight. The legislature of 1873 increased the jurisdiction of the justice of the peace of precinct No. 1, giving him concurrent jurisdiction with the district court in all civil cases where the amount involved did not exceed $1000, and where questions as to land titles were not involved; also, criminal jurisdiction of all misdemeanors. In 1876 a new constitution had been adopted and went into effect on April 18th. This new constitution created the office of county judge with enlarged jurisdiction in civil and criminal cases and probate matters, and making him superintendent of the public schools of the county.
W. A. Evans was the first county judge under the new constitution, and held the office from April, 1876, until Nov., 1878. He was succeeded by Thos. B. Cox, who held the office from Nov., 1878, until Nov., 1882, when E. D. McClellan was elected, and has held the office ever since,
Thos. Jouett was the first clerk of the county court. Roswell W. Lee was the second. Lee was succeeded by Sylvanus Howell, who continued in office for four years. Samuel J. Galbraith was elected in 1856, and held the office until 1868, when he was succeeded by J. R. Dupuy, who held it under military appointment. In May, 1870, Charles Doss was elected and held the office until April, 1876, when he was succeeded by J. II. Oliphint. He was four times elected, and in 1884 was succeeded by J. V. Noble, who is now serving his second term.
The first sheriff of Fannin county was John P. Simpson, succeeded in 1943 by Thos. Dagley. In 1850 Jno. F. Crawford succeeded Dagley. Wm. Routh held the office from 1854 until 1858, when Alfred Davis was elected, and held the office for a few months. Thos. J. Gates was sheriff from Dec., 1858 until 1862. In 1863 he was succeeded by Harvey Wise, who in turn was succeeded by J. B. Anderson: Moses Bledsoe succeeded Anderson; J. M. McKee succeeded Bledsoe; I. W. Dunn succeeded McKee; Smith Lipscomb succeeded Dunn, and held the office for four years; then Frank Blair was elected and served four years; Thos. Ragsdale was next elected, and served a few months, when he was murdered. James W. Evans was appointed to fill the unexpired term; in 1886 he was elected to the position, and still holds it.
The district judges who have presided in this county are named in order: Jno. M. Hansford. Jno. T Mills, Wm. H. Todd, R. L. Waddell. W. T. G. Weaver, Hardin Hart, W. H. Andrews, J. C. Easton, R. R. Gaines and D. H. Scott.
Judge of criminal district court, James Q. Chenoweth.
Win. M. Williams, Jesse Benton, Wm. C. Young, Burrell Smith, Sumpter Mills. E. D. McKinney, W. H. Andrews, Jas. Woods. J. M. Hurt, L. F. Smith, Joshua Whitmore, M. L. Simms and Jas. H. Lyday, the present encumbent.
The district clerks have been as follows: J. S. Baker, 1410: J. C. Parish, 1841; G. W. Guthrie, 1842; R. W. Lee from 1842 until 1844; Thos. C. Bean from 1844 to 1846; H. G. Hendricks from 1846 to 1848; P. J. Pillius, 1848: Wm. Burkett, 1849: N. K. Record, 1851; R. S.
Hunt, 1852 to 1856; A. H. Trueblood, 1856-1858; B. F. Fuller, 1858; A. P. Garter from 1859 to 1868; Carter was succeeded by C. M. Wilcox, and Wilcox by Carter Taylor; Chas. Doss, 1870; Geo. Blair, 1876. Mr. Blair is still in office, and has made one of the best district clerks in the state of Texas.
The county officers of Fannin county are E. D. McClellan, county judge; J. P. Noble, county clerk; B. N. Woodson, county attorney; J. W. Evans, sheriff: G. W. Blair, district clerk; T. W. Ragsdale, county treasurer; Thos. Kennedy, tax collector; Thos. Baker, tax assessor; M. Keithly, surveyor: J. M. Moore, public weigher.
Among the pioneers of Fannin county who drove back the bands of prowling Indians and opened the way for civilization were Judge Bailey Inglish and his family, John P. Simpson, Thos. Cowart, Charles Hampton, Thos. and John Jouett, Daniel Rowlett, R. H. Locke, Thos. Journey, Jacob Black, Daniel Kitchen, Daniel Dugan, Mable Gilbert, Jack McFarland, James S. Baker, the Hunters, the Sowells, the Cox family, Thos. Rose. There are others whose names we cannot now call to mind. We wish we could as we have a reverence for these noble men who were noted for their kindness, hospitality and heroism and nearly all of whon now rest beneath the sod of the land they so bravely defended.
The population of Fannin county in 1860 was 9,217, in 1870 13,207, in 1880 25,301, at present it is over 40,000. The tax value of property in 1880 was $4,180.51; in 1887 it is $8,125,582. Th public school fund of the county amounts annually to from $40,000
Honey Grove, through which runs the Texas and Pacific railroad, and which is the present terminus of this line of the Gulf, Colorado and Saute Fe road, is situated sixteen miles east from Bonham, in Fannin county, near the Lamar county line.
The city is surrounded in every direction by the best grade of black waxy land, very productive, as is evidenced by the fact that nearly every acre available is in cultivation. The writer is informed by two thrifty farmers living within five miles of this city that they measured the corn produced on their places in 1887, and found that a large portion of the area in corn averaged a yield of more than one hundred bushels per acre. On the same farms cotton yielded as high as a bale per acre.
The population of the city in 1880 was 1,628, (20 per cent colored) and in the fall of 1887 was, as near as could be estimated, 3,500. In the year 1873 the town was incorporated under a special charter, and in September 1882 the general charter provided by the state was adopted in its stead. Under the state charter the city, through its council, has exclusive control of its finances, schools and public improvements, and its advantages can be seen in the improved condition of its streets, alleys and public grounds.
The city has printed in pamphlet form a complete code of ordinances for the government of the city, and is collecting a fund, by taxation, to build a city hall and jail of the fine stone from the quarries three miles south of this place. B. 8. Walcott, the pioneer business man of the city, first demonstrated the utility of
this stone for building purposes by erecting a business house in 1864-5. Since then twenty-seven business houses have been built of this stone in this city, most of which are two stories high. This stone was used wholly in the new court house at Clarksville, Red River county, largely in the Merchants Exchange at Dallas, a new bank building at Farmersville, Collin comity, and several car loads has been shipped out of the state for use in fine buildings in adjoining states.
In 1875 the Honey Grove High School was established under the auspices and control of the Paris Dist. M. E. Church South. The building is two stories high, and cost $11,000. Since the date of its construction it has been in successful operation. Prof. J. W, Clark is at present principal of the school, and has, by his close attention to his duties, won the confidence and esteem of all who know him.
In the year 1881 the Walcott Institute— named in honor of B. S. Walcott—was erected by Prof. J. S. Kendall at a cost of $4,000. It is a frame building two stories high. It has been in successful operation only a part of the time since its erection.
The Dramatic Hall was built in 1879 by a joint stock company at a cost of $1,000, but was eclipsed in 1886 by the erection of a splendid Opera House of marble stone by T. U. Cole, Williamson Bros. and Spelce, at a cost of nearly $10,000. This is said to be the finest and most convenient Opera hall of its size in North Texas.
The old Union church, built in 1856, was supplanted by the Methodists' building, a stone structure, erected in 1880-1, at a cost of $5,000. In the summer of 1887 this building was enlarged, at a cost of $1,200, making the total cost more than $6,000. About this time the O. S. Presbyterian church was erected, at a cost of $1,300, upon which improvements have since been made, and the house enclosed by a neat iron fence. In the same year the Cumberland Presbyterians built, at a cost of $1,800. In 1884 the Baptists completed their building, at a cost of $1,850. In 1885 the Christian church was erected, at a cost of nearly $2,500. In 1887 the Lutherans built, at a cost of $1,000. Their membership is made up entirely of German people.
The colored people have three moderately good frame churches. Elder A. J. Dupree has been pastor of the colored Baptist church for several years. The colored people have two schools in successful operation.
The professions are represented as follows; Two dentists, twelve practicing physicians, and six lawyers.
The judiciary consists of W. H. Lemons, justice of the peace; Jas. Lane, constable; J. H. Smith, mayor; J. U. Owen, city attorney; L. C. Lamaster, Marshal.
The secret and benevolent orders are represented ns follows:
Masonic Lodge, Odd Fellows, Knights of Honor, Knights and Ladies of Honor, Knights of Pythias. American Legion of Honor, Independent Order of Good Templars, and Woman’s Christian Temperance Union.
BUILDING AND LOAN ASSOCIATION
The Honey Grove Building and loan Association was organized and obtained a charter in March, 1885, with a capital stock of $100,000, consisting of 1,000 shares of $100 each, payable in monthly installments of one dollar per share. It has enabled many, who could not otherwise have done so, to build comfortable homes on easy terms. Its charter runs for fifty years.
LAND AND CATTLE COMPANY.
The Honey Grove Land and Cattle Company was organized and obtained a charter running fifty years in 1885. with a capital stock of $200,000. The company owns a ranch of 8,320 acres in Reeves county, upon which it has 2,000 or more head of cattle and a large number of horses.
Two lumber yards and one planing mill supply the country with building material. The city has telegraph and telephone connection with the adjoining towns and cities east, south and west. There are four resident fire insurance agents and one life insurance agent.
The business of the city is transacted principally on the public square, which was enlarged to its present size in 1881.
There are in the city fourteen dry goods houses, twelve grocery houses, four hardware stores, three drug stores, four confectioneries, three saloons, two furniture stores, three millinery stores, three saddle and harness stores, three barber shops, one auction house, three photograph galleries and two jewelers, five hotels, three restaurants, two livery stables which run carriages and omnibuses to the arrival of trains, day and night. Two firms do a real estate business. Two papers are published here: the
The Year 1888
Evans & Evans
to $45,000. There are 147 organized school communities in the county at which schools are taught, from six to ten months in the year.
Fannin is the banner county of the state politically, socially, morally, and intellectually. She can boast of more good school and church houses than any other county in the state. There is not a neighborhood, but has from one to two good buildings for church and school purposes and each school has a good teacher, in fact the school teachers of Fannin county are a credit to their occupation and as a general rule are superior in point of qualification to those of the older states.
In the way of productions corn, cotton, broom corn, oats, wheat, barley, buckwheat, susar cane, millet, tobacco, apples, pears, peaches, plums, apricots, quinces, cherries, small fruits and vegetables of all kinds grow abundantly and yield profusely. The soil of the county is inexhaustible. The south half being the rich black waxey and the north half a deep sandy loam easy to cultivate.
The county is well supplied with an abundance of good timber, at least a sufficiency for all ordinary purposes. The growth being oak, ash, hickory, pecan, hackberry, elm, locust, mulberry, ckittam, cedar, boi'sd arc and cottonwood. Cedar being found only along the river. A quarry of limestone extends neary across the county running from the Lamar county line three miles south of Honey Grove in a western direction for about eighteen miles and extending a little west of Gober, about seven miles south of Bonham. This lime stone is easy to work, can be dressed and prepared for use with a saw and plant. It makes most excellent building material and is shipped to many places for finishing and ornamental work for fine buildings. Some of the finest store houses in the state are built of this rock. Honey Grove has ten or twelve that would be an ornament to most any city. The fine court house now going up in Bonham is being built of this stone procured from the quarries near Gober. So soon as we get the D.B. & N.O. road completed, it passing through the quarry, the stone will afford an immense article of commerce and bring to Fannin thousands of dollars. The Santa Fe already passes through the quarry near Honey Grove and the lime stone shipped from that portion of the county affords not only a source of revenue to the owners, but furnish considerable work for the road.
The year 1887 was one of universal productiveness and gives some idea of the county’s productive capacity. Th e season was a dry one, the rainfall being universally light. The wheat crop yielded from sixteen to thirty-nine bushels to the acre. The oat crop, owing to the exceedingly dry spring, was short, yielding only about half a crop, about forty bushels to the acre. The yield of cotton being a full average and the acreage being largely increased over former years, gave to the county about seventy-five thousand bales. In the year 1886 the county shipped a fraction over sixty thousand bales. The corn crop of 1887 was the largest ever grown, the acreage being increased and the yield much greater, being from forty to seventy-five bushels per acre, many fields yielding as high as seventy-five bushels. This, however, is the best average corn every grown in the county, but it clearly shows what can be done with ordinary good seasons and the proper cultivation. The fruit crop, owing to late frosts, was not an average one, yet thousands of bushels of apples were grown and have been sold in the market. The farmers of the county are nearly all in good spirits and in a prosperous condition, have comfortable homes and are surrounded with an abundance of all that is calculated to bring happiness and contentmeut. There is no county in Texas or any other state that offers greater inducements to the farmer.
Our lands are rich and productive; society is equal to any place. The progressiveness of our people, their love of order, good morals and intellectual development, their desire to excel in fanning, in stock raising, in education, their love of home and home comforts, their industrious habits and hospitality, all combined make them a desirable people to live among and be with.
The county will soon be a perfect net of railroads. The following are the roads at present: The Texas & Pacific railroad runs east and west through the center of the comity.
The M. K. & T. runs through the south-western portion of the county.
The St. Louis, Arkansas & Texas enters the county near the south-east corner and runs thence a little north of west, crossing the west line near Whitcwright.
The Santa Fe railroad crosses the south line of the county near Wolf City, runs thence north through the east end of the county, connecting with the Texas & Pacific road at Honey Grove.
The Denison, Bonham & New Orleans road enters the county in. the north-west portion, runs thence south-east by way of Warren and Ravenna to Bonham, all the grading being completed to the latter place. The road will be continued in a south-east direction by way of Ladonia to its connection with the Sabine & North-West road.
The contemplated roads that will, at no distant time be made, are the following: The extension of the Houston & Texas Central from Mckinney, by way of Orangeville and Bonham and thence north across Red river and on through the Indian Territory, traversing the great coal field just north of Red river.
The next road will be in the Frisco extension from Author City, entering the county at the north-east corner thereof, extending by way of Bonham, Whitewright and McKinney to Fort Worth. With these roads Fannin county will need no more, as every point will thus be made accessible, and every portion of the county will have the advantage of cheap transportation foo its produce.
Bonham, the county seat of Fannin county, is situated near the geographical centre of the county. It was first called Bois d'Arc. The first court held here was on the 27th day of Mar., 1843, and during the next twelve months the name was changed to Bonham.
Judge Bailey Inglish may properly be called the father of Bonham, as he was the first one to settle in what is now the corporate limits of the city, settling about one mile east from where the public square is now situated. This was on the 17th day of Mar., 1837. The corporation of the city embraces within its limits the old
population of the town is about one hundred. There are two stores carrying general merchandise, one hotel, a blacksmith and wood shop, a steam mill and gin, and a good school building at which a flourishing school is kept up ten months in the year. The justice’s court for precinct No. seven is held here, Joseph Sowell presiding justice. There are many fine farms in full view of the town. The soil is sandy, easy of cultivation and produces well cotton and all kinds of grain. The land is especially adapted to fruits, all kinds of which grow well. Land is worth from 10.00 to $15.00 per acre.
Mulberry is situated twelve miles north-west from Bonham and four miles from Red river. It has one store, a post office, one blacksmith shop, two steam gins and mills, and one church. The soil around it is diversified: dark loam, red sandy and red waxy. All rich in productiveness, producing one bale of cotton per acre, from forty to seventy-live bushels of corn, three to four tons of millet, from one hundred to two hundred bushels of sweet potatoes, and other things in proportion.
This section is freer from malaria than any other portion, being away from lakes and swamps. The water is unequalled, being pure freestone. School privileges are fine, having the largest free school community in the county. Apples, peaches, pears, apricots, grapes and all fruits and vegetables grow to perfection.
Is situated in the south-eastern nortion of Fannin county, eighteen miles from Bonham, at the junction of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe railroads. It is in the midst of one of the finest farming portions of the county, built upon sandy land, and is a beautiful site for a large city.
During the past year the town has made wonderful strides in its improvement, having built more than a block of brick business houses, besides many neat residences.
The population is about 1,000 or 1,200, having increased at least twenty-five per cent during 1887.
The business houses of the town in name and number are as follows: Five dry goods houses, thirteen grocery stores, three drug stores, two furniture houses, two hardware stores, four saloons, two hotels, six restaurants, three blacksmith shops, one lumber yard, one tin shop, two millinery stores, three barber shops, one flouring mill, one bank, two meat markets, two livery stables, one boot and shoe shop, one saddle and harness store, two jewelers, and one newspaper, which is edited by I). Y. Boliver.
The city has three neat church buildings, belonging respectively to the Methodists, Baptists and Presbyterians. Nothing speaks so well for the mental and moral development of a town as its churches and schools. Ladonia is not lagging behind in respect to these things.
The Ladonia High School has a building capable of accommodating some 350 pupils, having now an attendance of more than 225. This school is under the control of the Lev. G. F. Eagleton, as principal, assisted by his daughter, and by his son, D. F. Eagleton, who is a graduate of Davidson College, and in every way well fitted for his work.
The Primary School, of which Mrs. M. Bridges is principal, is very well patronized. Only the primary branches are taught.
The professions are represented by seven doctors, two dentists and four lawyers.
The secret orders are represented only by the Odd Fellows, Masons and Knights of Honor.
The City Bank, C. W. T. Weldon president, has just commenced business the 1st of Jan., with a capital stock of $35,000.
The town has one flouring mill which buys the wheat of the neighborhood, and furnishes much of the flour consumed at the place.
During 1887 the town paid out between $400,000 and $450,000 for cotton, about 9,000 bales being purchased. It shipped 41,000 bushels of cotton seed, thirty-five car loads of corn, twenty cars of bones, horns and iron. It received some 300 car loads of lumber, and 150 or 200 cars of merchandise. The business done over the counters of the Exchange which did a general banking business, amounted to $750,000. The merchants of the city sold goods to the amount of some $450,000.
Randolph is a station on the St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway, eight miles south of Bonham. As yet there is only one store, a good school house, and new business houses are going up. The country around it is a rich black sandy soil, very productive and excellent for raising fruits of all kinds. There arc many fine farms and many handsome homes around this place, and peace and comfort abound.
Dial is situated eight miles south-east from Honey Grove: is a country village in a very rich settlement. where the land is nearly all in cultivation. It is noted for the thrift, sobriety and prosperity of its people. It has a post-office, a store, a flouring mill and a gin, a blacksmith and wood shop, a church and school building. Land is worth from $20 to $40 per acre.
The News offers its third Annual to its readers and patrons, feeling confident that it will be appreciated for whatever merit it may possess. We do not claim any great degree of perfection for this third pamphlet of its kind that The News has sent out, yet we feel confident that the matter herein contained presents points in the history of Fannin county which will prove interesting to every citizen within her borders.
The date of the organization of the county, together with the names of the officers and some of the early settlers are given briefly, and can but prove a source of information to those who have recently made their homes here, while to those who have been long here we hope they may prove a source of pleasure by calling to memory the scenes and associations of the long ago.
Most of the information concerning the respective neighborhoods has been furnished by our correspondents and friends, who will please accept the thanks of The News for favors thus extended. May their labors prove a benefit to the banner county of the banner state in the Union.
We return thanks to these who have been so liberal in advertising with us and by their liberality have enabled us to furnish this brief history of the county to so many who are seeking homes.
We hope next year to present you with our fourth annual which we hope to make better than this one, itself an improvement over former issues.