Brownlee Home, Built in 1872, Gets Marker
The old W. W. Brownlee home at 220 West Sixth street, now owned by Mrs. Alex Longmire, is the latest addition to the homes and places of historical significance in Bonham to be marked with a Texas Historical plaque.
First built as a one-story structure by William Whitfield Brownlee with lumber hauled overland by wagon from Jefferson, the stately big home as it now stands had its second story added later.
The marker placed recently by the Fannin County Historical survey committee, of which Mrs. H. A. Burow is chairman, reads: "Old Brownlee Home. Built 1872 with lumber hauled from Jefferson. Second story was added later. Bought 1946 by Alex Longmire."
Mr. Brownlee was born Dec. 25, 1847, in Greenville, Miss. He served in the Confederate Army in Capt. John D. Smith's cavalry troop under Gen. Bedford Forest's command. He served the entire period of the Civil war, first as a drummer boy, then in the cavalry.
He was married Jan. 1, 1872, to Miss Sarah Matilda Allen, who was born near Hope, Ark., in 1850. They completed the home in 1872, later adding the second story as well as the "ginger bread trimming."
Nine children were born to them, three of whom are still living. They are William Allen Brownlee of Tulsa; Louise Brownlee Gray and Hope Brownlee Campbell, both of Dallas.
There are many living descendants. Mrs. Martha Lowrey, now of Commerce, is the only one recently living in Bonham.
Mrs. Longmire and her late husband kept the house as it was after they bought it in 1946.
They were married in 1918 and have one daughter, Mrs. Thelma Joe Ward of Fort Lyon, Colo.
The late Mr. Longmire was the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Longmire of Windom. Mrs. Longmire was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Jolly of Windom.