Postcard courtesy the Bonham Public Library
Formally chartered in 1881, Carlton College began under the direction of Charles Carlton (1821-1902) as the Bonham Female Institute. Carlton, a native of England and a Disciples of Christ minister, had come to Bonham in 1867 to take charge of the Institute, which soon became a coeducational school known as Bonham Seminary. Carlton, several of his children, and his second wife, Sallie, taught many of the classes at his Bonham schools. In 1882, the first of several Carlton College buildings was constructed in this block of East Tenth St. Carlton College admitted all young men and women who demonstrated a sincere desire for education. As the Caroltons grew older, they decided to limit enrollment, and the college became an all-female school in 1887. By the time of Carlton's death in 1902, approximately 3600 pupils had attended his schools in Bonham. Carlton College declined with the death of its founder and in 1914 was merged with a school in Sherman to form Carr-Burdette College. When that institution closed in 1916, the graduates of Carlton were adopted into the alumni fellowship of Texas Christian University in Fort Worth.
Location: 201 E. 10th Street, Bonham