During the early 1940’s the Bonham, TX. Church of God in Christ was located on the corner of Katy Blvd and 7th Street.
The first known Pastor was Elder Wilson and wife Eula Wilson. After Eld. Wilson passed, Elder W. S. Harvey and wife, and Sis. Lucille Harvey became the pastor. Along with them and their family, the following members were: Mother Eula Wilson, Mother Bulah Harvey, Sis. Nora King, Mother Dora Choice & Bobbie Jo Choice, Sis. Eula Iverson, Brother and Sis. Bagsby, Sis Mattie Phea and husband, Sis. Beatrice Elderidge & Family Sis. Daisy Grinder and her mother known as “Aunt Susie”, Bro Willie Seals and friend known as “ Aunt Babe”, Sis. Ruth Ransom & Family. After Elder Harvey, the following Elders became pastors: Elder King of Farmersville, TX, Elder Chester Hamilton of Dallas, TX.
In the early 1950’s, it was decided a new location and updated building was needed. Some of the ladies decided to do fundraising by using the gifts of their hands to make and sell aprons, pillows, and various handcrafts. After funds were procured, the new location of the church was “Dorcas” Church of God in Christ located on 12th Street.
Some of the members included: Sis. Geneva White, Ella Ray, Eva Nell, Pamela, Sis. Addie Lue Gentry, Mother Martha Lewis, Sis. Ragsdale, Bro. Richard Elliot, Wanda Lee Shaw, and Brother Daniel Rayford. Several families would also send their children for Sunday School each week.
About 1982 Elder Willie Gillstrap and wife became the pastor of New Life Church of God in Christ located at 917 N. Main Street in Bonham, TX.
During the 1980’s, there was also a COGIC church know as Sunrise Church of God in Christ pastored by Rev. Joseph Smith and his wife, Joyce and their family. This church was located on E. 6th Street in Bonham. Members of this church consisted of family and friends.
There was also a COGIC church in Ravenna, TX. in the late 1940’s, Elder Julian DeHorney was the pastor that worshipped in the old school house in Ravenna. Several young received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost under his leadership. Some of the young people were Bobbie (Choice) Shepperd, Emma Jean (Dehorney) Sweet, Eldon Jackson and Bobbie Jean (White) Patterson and others.
Around 1954-1958, Bro. Arnold Harvey, Sr. was instrumental in locating and moving a building to be located at FM 274, where the Elder D.C. Littlefield of Fort Worth, TX. was the pastor. The members of that church were Bro. Arnold Harvey, Sr. and his wife, Emma Harvey and children, Vivian and Arvella Harvery, Bro. Joe Choice, and his wife Sis. Mittie Choice, Sis. Lois White and Bro. Marshall Sheppard and his wife.
Information compiled by: Shirley Brown, Bobby Shephard and Vivian Caldwell.
Below are photos of the older church.