The committee in charge of the 1905 Fannin County Confederate and Old Settlers' Reunion met in January 1905 and decided to hold the next reunion in Bonham on July 18-21. The fourth and last day would be taken up with the ceremonies relating to the unveiling of the Confederate monument on the square. The Bonham News, Jan. 31, 1905.
As reported in The Bonham News, May 23, 1905 the committee in charge of the matter met and adopted the inscriptions to be written on the monument. On the west side: "To the Confederate soldiers who sacrificed their lives and fortunes for a just cause, this monument is lovingly dedicated by the Daughters of the Confederacy, aided by the Confederate Veterans' Association of Fannin County."
The monument was unveiled on July 24, 1905. After a number of addresses, the veil over the statue was pulled by Misses Josephine Thomas and Mary Scott aided by Master Robert Wright and as the form of the "silent sentinel" stood out in bold relief, the air was rent with the shouts of the assembled host, led by the old veterans who surrounded the monument. Maj. Chas. D. Grace presented the monument to the county and city.
On East side: "Battles fought 2242."
Committees to arrange for the laying of the cornerstone and for the unveiling were appointed. The unveiling would take place in July, 1905, during the Confederate reunion.
The Bonham News of May 26, 1905 reported that the courthouse grounds were being prepared for the monument and that "The monument proper is being prepared across the waters" and was expected to arrive in Bonham in the next few days." As soon as the foundation was in place, the corner stone would be laid by the Masons.
The cornerstone was laid on June 20, 1905. A large number of items were placed in the cornerstone. The Bonham News, June 23, 1905.
As early as 1898 and 1899, funds were being raised for a Confederate Monument. See the Fannin County Favorite, Sept. 22, 1898 and The Bonham News, Oct. 15, 1899. "The Daughters of the Confederacy gave an oyster supper Tuesday night for the benefit of the Confederate monument fund." The Bonham News, Nov. 17, 1899.
In 1899 the Confederate Veterans Association asked teachers to "give an entertainment between now and January, and donate the proceeds to the building of a Confederate monument in the county." The Bonham News, October 20, 1899. At least two school, the Ector Normal and Training school and the pupils of Ravenna college, had such events. The Bonham News, Dec. 15, 1899 and Dec. 22, 1899.
In May of 1900 The Old Fiddlers Carnival was held at the Court House, with proceeds going to the confederate monument. The Bonham News, May 25, 1900.
During this time Confederate Reunions were regularly held in Fannin and adjacent counties.
As of 1902, the Daughters of the Confederates had already raised over $1000 for the Fannin County monument. The Bonham News, August 15, 1902
On South side: "From crossed swords) 1981 to 1865. We fought for our homes and those we loved. 'On Fame's eternal camping ground, their silent texts are spread; And Glory guards with solemn sound The bivouac of the dead."
On North side: "The great war; unrivaled in history for bravery, gallantry, daring and dash."