Honey Grove Signal, October 24, 1919
The Public Park a Reality
Honey Grove is to have a city park, a pretty retreat which will be beautiful and turned into a rest spot, a play-ground for grown-ups and children. This is something we have long needed, something that was neglected when opportunities might have been better and property was cheaper, but congratulations are due all over the fact that the matter has finally been taken up and the city is to have a park.
The Sanders lots, which are between West Main and West Market streets, have been purchased and now belong to the city. There are about four acres of land in these lots. The property is within easy reach of all the people. There are many pretty trees on the grounds and in time we will have as pretty a park as any small city in the state. The grounds will be improved and converted into a real beauty spot; the children will go there to play and the grown-ups will go there to renew the bonds of friendship and to have their eyes brightened by social joys. To every one who assisted is there much credit in making this park possible, but we must not forget the work of Mayor Daniel, who has made the park his song and story for several weeks, and who worked patiently but confidently until every cent was subscribed and paid in. Below we print a list of those who contributed, and we must add here that the park is to be dedicated to the "soldier boys of Honey Grove and vicinity who volunteered their services and their lives in defense of world-wide democracy and humanity."
Named for David Crockett (1786-1836), the colorful Tennessee pioneer and congressman who rallied to cause of Texas in her war for Independence. Late in 1835, Crockett traveled by riverboat, horseback, and on foot, entering Texas along the Red River (NE of here). Camping at a site half a mile northeast of this park, he found wild bees and honey in hollow trees. In letters to family and friends, Crockett called the campsite a "Honey Grove." It is said he told his friends he would settle here later, but in a few weeks he died in cause of freedom at the Alamo.
One of Crockett's old friends, Tennessee surveyor Samuel A. Erwin (1786-1854), became the first settler here (1839) and first postmaster (1846). Bejamin S. Walcott, arriving in 1848, added land of his own to his wife's legacy from James Gilmer. With Erwin as co-founder, he platted town of Honey Grove on the Gilmer grant. He also erected first stone building.
In 1885, Honey Grove had many businesses, including a weekly newspaper, "The Independent." Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad reached here in 1887. A peak of 4,000 inhabitants was attained in 1890.
Situated on land bought from W. J. Erwin (1919), this park provides recreation for a dynamic community.
Location: West Main Street in Honey Grove.