Fannin County, Texas

Honey Grove Signal-Citizen, Sept. 29, 1972


An estimate of over 250 attended events relating to the official dedication of the Texas State Historical Marker at the site of the Dial school on Sunday, September 17th. The Dial school, opened around 108 years ago, fell victim as have practically all rural schools to consolidation in the late 1940 's.

Dale Milford of Dallas, a former Dial student, was the speaker for joint services at 11:00 o'clock at the Dial Presbyterian Church. The Rev. A. R. Osborne, church Pastor presided;

E, E, Nunnelley introduced former Dial teachers present; Mrs. Murray Milford gave a history of the community and the school. Mrs. Anna Hudson of Lubbock was recognized as having traveled the longest distance to attend the affair and Mrs. W. A. McCown of the community was recognized as the oldest person attending.

Following Mr. Milford's address, the benediction was given by Ray Yant.

Basket lunch was spread in the community center at 12:15 and at 2:00 o’clock ceremonies attendant to officially unveiling and dedicating the marker were held. The Rev. Mr. Osborne was master of ceremonies; the Rev. Tom Owens, pastor of the Dial Baptist Church gave the invocation; County Judge Choice Moore spoke on the significance of the Marker; Mrs. Harry Swann, chairman of the Fannin County Historical Survey Committee presented the marker, and acceptance was by Mrs. Sears Speer of Dial.

Top picture is of the four former teachers attending, Mrs. Sears Speer, Mrs. Raymond Budd, Mrs. Murray Milford and Cooper Carter.

Second picture on the church steps, left to right are Mrs. Dale Milford, Mrs. Ethel Burrell, Constable H. H. (Mutt) Milford of Ladonia, Dale Milford and County Commissioner Johnny Avery. Mrs. Burrell is Dale Milford’s aunt and Constable Milford is Dale Milford's uncle. Avery was instrumental in securing of the Marker for the Dial community.

Bottom picture is the group at the unveiling of the Marker. Left to right, Mrs. Speer,

Judge Moore, the Rev. Mr. Osborne, Commissioner Avery and Mrs. Harry Swann.

Dial Schools

Marker Text:


​School in this community was held 1840-80 in a log cabin used also for church and community activities.  Cotton Gin and Grist Mill of Dial family attracted settlers.  Dial Post Office opened May 24, 1880.  In July 1880 a site was provided for Academy which gained renown under a superior educator, Robert W. lane (1825-91), a Confederate veteran.


One of later (1903-05) teachers in Dial community was the Hon. Sam Rayburn (1882-1961), United State Congressman from Texas 1913-61, who set a record of 17 years as Speaker of the House of Representatives.


Location:  On the north side of FM 824 in Dial.


Photos of Dial school classes are on the Fannin County GenWeb site.