NOTE: This historical marker has been removed from the Courthouse grounds because of the ongoing renovation of the Courthouse. After the renovation is completed an application for an updated marker will be submitted.
Commissioners Court first met at Jacob Black's cabin on Feb. 26, 1836, before Fannin County was officially organized. In 1838 Warren (near present Ambrose in Grayson County) was named the county seat. The courthouse built there in 1840 was a two-story oak and cedar structure with rough plank floors. In 1843 the county seat was moved to Bois d'Arc; town's name was changed to Bonham, for an Alamo hero, the next year. Judge John P. Simpson donated land for the small log courthouse of 1843. Later another cabin was built with a breezeway connecting the two. In the early courthouse jurors sat above the courtroom in a loft that could be reached only by an outside ladder. This log building served until 1881 when a two-story brick structure was erected at the same location.
This was replaced in 1888 by a 3-story courthouse made of native stone from Gober, south of Bonham, and built by Scottish-born stonemasons Kane and Cormack. Fire in 1929 destroyed the clock steeple, and the building was remodeled.
Using part of the 1888 structure, this courthouse was constructed in 1965-66 with a facade of Leuders stone. It was dedicated by Governor John Connally.
Location: On the square in Bonham.
The photos and postcards below courtesy the Fannin County Museum of History.
See more photos on the Courthouse page.
Read about the laying of the Courthouse cornerstone in 1888.
Read about the dedication of the Courthouse in 1889.