Originally organized in November of 1847 by Pastor W. M. Pickett, a missionary from the Southern Baptist Convention Home Mission Board, the First Baptist Church of Honey Grove met in a log schoolhouse at nearby Allen's Chapel. Nine charter members formed the church. After several years, there was a dispute between Allen's Chapel Methodists and the First Baptist Church over use of the schoolhouse. The Baptists erected a new structure in 1852. The following year the Baptist church split; remaining members called themselves Honey Grove Baptist Church. They held services in a frame schoolhouse for several years.
In 1856, the Baptists, Methodists, Cumberland Presbyterians and Disciples of Christ built the first public building in Honey Grove. Called the Union Church, it was the only house of worship in the community for twenty years. When the Baptists acquired their own building, with a seating capacity of 350, in 1884, they inherited the Union Church bell. The First Baptist Church completed a new sanctuary in 1912. Solid brick walls, a metal roof and ceilings, cement foundation and cork linoleum flooring were highlights of the new building.
In 1888 a former pastor of the First Baptist Church, John H. Boyett, and Lewis Holland printed the "Baptist News" in Honey Grove. Distributed to members of the faith throughout the state, the publication was a predecessor to "The Baptist Standard," which celebrated 100 years of publication in 1988. Marking 155 years of worship in 1997, the First Baptist Church of Honey Grove continues the traditions of its founders with a variety of religious life and community service programs. (1999)
Location: 410 Hickory Street, Honey Grove
Additional information on the history of the First Baptist Church of Honey Grove is at the website of the Honey Grove Preservation League.