Fannin County, Texas

The photos below are from the 1948 groundbreaking of the Education Building.

​Photos of the stained glass windows are at the Fannin County GenWeb site.

"These gallant men of our Armed Forces have fought for the ideals which they knew to be the ideals of their country."


Miss Lula P. Dilworth, Red Cross Nurse

Roy Bass

Truss Benson

John L. Bishop

Lonnie Boatright

Foster C. Bomar

Sidney S. DeBord

Jessie L. Day

James A. B. Dilworth

Elmo B. Ellard

Leonard H. Fowler

Alphons Fry

Edward L. Fulton

Lee Gilbert

Alfred E. Graham

Leon C. Harper

Jack P. Keith

Carl Little

Edgar Little

Hall Little

Thurbert Martin

Albert C. Mitchell

Andrew H. Parsons

Spencer C. Relyea

Charles W. Tucker

Jessie F. Walker

D. C. Wilber

Earnest A. Williams

Walter Williams

James E. Winn

Walter L. Woodall

James Powell Walker

fell in battle in France

 on August 10, 1918


The image to the right is of the First Baptist Church, 1893-1909.  This church building burned in 1909.

First Baptist Church of Ladonia

Marker Text:


Ladonia's Baptists trace their history to 1859, when the Rev. Robert Cooke Buckner began traveling from Paris, Texas to Ladonia to preach monthly services.


On January 8, 1860 the congregation formally organized as the First Baptist Church.  The Rev. A. J. Moffat became the first pastor.  Before the congregation built its first church building in 1877, services were held in a combination church/schoolhouse, where worshipers used split logs for seats for several years.


The congregation became actively involved in both Baptist affairs and missionary endeavors early in its development.  In 1867, Ladonia was the site of the Baptist convention of eastern Texas, though attendance was somewhat low due to a yellow fever outbreak.  However, the next year Ladonia continued hosting other Baptist events and participating in local, county, and regional association meetings.  As early as 1869, women's groups were active in local missionary programs, and at the turn of the century the congregation as a whole began to support a nearby orphanage as well as foreign missions.


Throughout its history, the First Baptist Church of Ladonia has played an important role in the religious life of this community.


Location:  301 E. Main, Ladonia


​Read a History of First Baptist Church Ladonia, 1860-1990.