Church to celebrate dedication of marker
The Trenton First United Methodist Church will celebrate the dedication of its 100-year historical marker following the worship service on Sunday, March 16.
A special worship service observing the occasion will begin at 11 a.m. and will be conducted by the Rev. Greg Neal, pastor of the church, and Dr. Tom Graves, District Superintendent.
The church was organized originally from a group of local Christians who met in a downtown Trenton location starting in 1887. In 1895, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South sent the Rev. W. J. Bludworth as pastor to lead the group. During this three-year appointment, land was purchased for a church building and parsonage.
The church building was completed in 1896 and the first services was held May 14, 1896. The church parsonage, located next door, was built in 1914. A centennial celebration commemorating the first services was held at the church in April of 1996.
In 1887 members gathered at the Union Church in Trenton to organize the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The first pastor was the Rev. W. J. Bludworth. In 1896 the first sanctuary was built, and the congregation included 200 members. Organizations were established for the members including those for youth, women, and men. Additional facilities were provided to meet the needs of the church as the congregation grew. Rich with traditions, this church continues to serve the community as it has for more than a century.
215 N. 2nd Street, Trenton