Galbraith Home Receives Texas State Historical Marker
An Official Texas State Historical Marker was formerly dedicated at the Galbraith House, a stately home three miles west of Honey Grove, built between 1870 and 1873 by pioneer citizen of the area Marshall A. Galbraith, on Sunday afternoon, October 7.
Joe T. Morrow, Honey Grove Signal-Citizen publisher was master of ceremonies for the affair. The Rev. Dale Swain, pastor of the McKenzie United Methodist Church gave the invocation and Choice Moore, county judge of Fannin County spoke on the significance of the marker and Mrs. H. D. Swann, chairman of the Fannin county Historical Survey Committee presented the marker, which was accepted by Mrs. Philip Barbee, great-granddaughter of Marshall A. Galbraith, made the acceptance. The Barbees who reside at the home, were hosts for open house from 2:00 until 5:00 o'clock Sunday afternoon.
Families attending the affair included members of Sidney Walter Galbraith family, who was the youngest son of Richard Coke Galbraith, youngest son of Marshall A. Galbraith. They were Mrs. Sidney W. (Vera Wood) Galbraith of Garland; Mr. and Mrs. Joe E. (Madelyn Galbraith) Eason, Jr., and Joseph III, Houston; Mrs. Robert (Barbara Galbraith) and Laura of Garland; Mr. and Mrs. C. Wayne (Vera Jo Galbraith) of Garland; Mrs. Jerry (Thelma Elizabeth Galbraith) of Terrell; Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Edward Galbraith and Shannon of Garland and Miss Cynthia Jean Galbraith of Humble. The family of Richard Galbraith: Mrs. Richard Galbraith; Mr. and Mrs. Philip Barbee of Honey Grove; Mr. and Mrs. James Gardner, Shauna and Amanda Gail of
Garland; Mr. and Mrs. Philip Richard Barbee and Brandy of Richardson and Robert Barbee and Gail Helm of Oklahoma City. Miss Claire Galbraith of Wichita Falls and Mrs. Martin Ohr of Honey Grove, granddaughter of M. A. Galbraith.
Grandchildren unable to attend were John Galbraith, Virginia Coull and Mamie Green.
Amanda Gail Garner was the youngest great-great-granddaughter of M. A. Galbraith attending.
The Galbraith home was built between 1870 and 1873 of Virginia pine hauled overland by oxcart from Jefferson City. Foundation blocks are 3' x 4' limestone. Sills are 12" x 12" oak beams, dovetailed and pinned with 1" Bois d' Arc pegs. Framing is 4" x 6" rough sawed pine, also dovetailed and pegged with Bois d' Arc. All nails used in the original structure were square.
Built as a two-story house, it had a flat white rock fireplace in each end, both upstairs and downstairs, and a full veranda on both floors across the back. The original log cabin, built in the 1840's was used as a separate kitchen.
Remodeled in 1917 by Coke Galbraith, the fireplaces were removed and a garage was added to one end and a kitchen built on the back. The huge porches in the back were extended and enclosed to make rooms: two bedrooms and a bath upstairs and dining room downstairs with a double fireplace between the dining room and the parlor. The house was plumbed for water and wired for electricity and had the first home electric plant in this area.
Marshall A. Galbraith (1828-1918) came to Texas from Kentucky in 1847 and settled here. He joined Confederate Army, 1862, serving in Vol. Alexander's Regiment, 34th Texas Cavalry. A prominent farmer and businessman, Galbraith built this Greek revival house about 1870. Although several alterations and additions have occurred over the years, the house still retains its late 19th century character. House is still occupied by Galbriath descendants.
Location: Between Honey Grove and Windom on CR 2432.
More information is on the Honey Grove Preservation League website.