Photo from the Bonham Daily Favorite, July 4, 1976.
See photos of
Woods Gin in Ladonia. Photo from the Burleson History Center.
Tucker Gin crew about 1953.
L to R: Dee Ivey, Albert Childress, Jess Sudderth, Buck Ownby, C.R. Butts, Clyde Tucker, Ben Hall, James Ferguson.
The gins ran 24 hours per day, except Sundays
From A Community Affairs, 1836 Toward 2000 Ladonia
This photo and the ones below are from the Collection of the Estate of John and Thelma Black.
The Braly-Ferguson Gin, which would later be known as the Abernathy & Tucker, northwest corner of Cedar and Collin Street, Leonard. Pictured is owner Clyde Tucker, mid 50's. The gin closed about 1965. Photos provided by Steve Coker.
Ad below from the
Honey Grove Signal, August 22, 1924
Old photo of the Farmers Gin from the Honey Grove Signal-Citizen, February 4, 1994
Dulaney brothers' gin at Ector, circa 1910-15.
Bagby Gin Crew ca 1912. Photo courtesy Austinnetta Holt Brown.
Ginning Season in Honey Grove.
Postcard from the collection of Barbara and Claude Caffee.
Murray Gin in Bonham. Photo from Kim Hope.
The advertisements below are from the Dodd City yearbooks of 1956 and 1967
Photo from the Allens Chapel Scrapbook, which says that there were several gins at one time or another in the Allens Chapel Community. One was on the Avery Young place, one on the Preston Johnson place and a third on the R. L. Bright place. The fourth was were the Pat and Lois's Webbs homeplace stood.
The Allens Chapel Gin was built in 1919 and owned by Hughie Lee in the Lannius community. Later the gin was moved to the Allens Chapel community in the early 1920's. W. O. Cravens purchased half interest in the gin in 1922 and in 1923 became the sole owner. The gin was destroyed by fire, probably in the 1940s.
An early picture of the Braly-Ferguson Gin, Collin Street looking east during the steam power days
Gober Gin. First photo from Jim Biggers, whose grandfather Jimmy Smith built and owned the gin until 1979, when he sold it to Anse Babers. Other photos from Steve Coker.
Cotton gins were a critical element of the economy of Fannin County when cotton was king, and there were many gins operating throughout the county. The remains of very few are still standing. The photo above, from Steve Coker, is of the Farmers Union Gin in Leonard, later known as the Davis Gin, which was the last to operate in Leonard. The gin is gone (2015), but the scalehouse remains.
As Steve Coker relates: "Cotton was the area economy for over one hundred years. Most of the photos of mansions can be directly attributed to cotton production. The gins were noisy, dangerous contraptions. Dad took me on a tour of the Davis Gin about '64 (8 years old). It was a cold night, the building was dimly lit by hanging incandescent light bulbs. Men in overalls were stationed throughout the building. No ear protection, they often used hand signals. The Davis Gin was powered by an inline six cylinder, natural gas fired Fairbanks Morse engine, which vibrated the ground and produced a tremendous amount of heat, not to mention sound. Outside, the gin could be heard from the far south end of town to the far north. Homes, cars, and trees were covered in lint during ginning season. Lots of one armed and one handed men around Leonard those days!"
This page contains photographs of historic cotton gins throughout the county. Please let us know if you have additional photographs or information that we can add.