National Register lists Haden House
Ladonia - A marker that will officially enter the Haden House into the national Register of Historic Places will be unmasked at a dedication ceremony here Saturday, June 6 .
The Haden House, located at 603 W. Bonham St. in Ladonia. will join a list of other Fannin County structures entered into the National Register. The dedication marks a long period of restoration and renovative work by the owners, Van and Doris Daugherty. They have owned the house since 1968 when they bought it from Mrs. Edna Cook of Dallas. Cook had owned the house since 1963. She purchased it form heirs of the original occupants, Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Haden Sr. The Haden family resided there for 69 years.
The program will consist of speeches, the dedication and a tour of the house. Joe Morgan will serve as Master of Ceremonies, the Rev. Larry D. Tinsley will give the invocation. Tom Hymer will recognize Fannin County Historical Commission members, and Alvin Fields will recognize special guests.
Dr. William King will introduce the speaker, Dr. David Ross, and the Bonham National Guard will furnish the presentation of colors.
After two patriotic songs, the marker will be presented and accepted followed by a tour of the house.
Most of the original contents of the house still remain intact. The detailed woodwork along with the fagile stain glass windows have been restored to an almost perfect resembalnce of what the house looked like in 1894. Ms. Daugherty told a local newspaper that "over 50% of the house has its original furnishings. We also have the original diaries left from the previous occupants of the home which tells when the trees were planted, what type of trees they were and even when the garden was planted."
The original owner, J. B. Haden, moved to Texas in 1865 and settled in Ladonia in 1869 with his parents. He grew up to be a clerk in a local store and opened up his own general store in 1882. It was in 1882 that he married Miss Elizabeth Holderness. Teh couple lived in the house that was built by craftsmen martin and Krause. From 1894 until 1953, one of the two original owners lived in the house. In 1950, Mrs. Haden died followed by Mr. Haden in 1953. One of their sons remained in the house until his death in 1959.
In November of 1966, a Texas Historical Medallion was placed on the house and in 1980, the house was entered into the National Register of Historic Places. The marker ceremony Saturday will officially be the last step to entering the house into the Register.
(document in the files of the Fannin County Historical Commission)
It is almost impossible to pass the late Gothic or Victorian gingerbread house in Ladonia, Texas, known as the Haden homeplace without experiencing a nostalgia for yesteryear. When one steps through the gate of the delicate iron fence, one takes a trip back in time. The tall steeple on the cupola, the stained glsss, the rounded shingles, the tall gothic gables, and the delicate tracery of wood embellishing it like a fine lace all contribute to the substantial elegance of the past century.
Later than most gingerbread houses, this one was built in 1894 by the craftsmen Martin and Krause for J. B. Haden, an affluent merchant, and one of Ladonia's leading citizens. Born neaer Springfield, Missouri, on July 28, 1859, Mr. Haden moved with his parents to Texas in the spring of 1865. Before coming to Ladonia in 1869, they lived in Grayson County and Delta County. In 1880 he began clerking in a store and in 1882 he opened his own general store in Ladonia which was a very successful undertaking from the very beginning.
On July 4, 1882, Mr. Haden married Miss Elizabeth Holderness, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. G. W. Holderness of the nearby community of Oakland in Hopkins County. As was the custom in those days, Mrs. Haden's bridesmaid, Miss Janey Young, accompanied her home as a wedding guest.
M. and Mrs. Haden had four sons: W. F. (Will), R. C. (Charlies), J. B., Jr. (Joe), and Mauice; and were always grateful that all their sons remained citizens of their native Ladonia. Because of his material success, and his knowledge of the cultural things of life, Mr. Haden was able to build this beautiful house for his family which has always, and still is, the showplace of Ladonia. Mr. and Mrs. Haden celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary in this house on July 4th, 1946. In 1950, Mrs. Haden died and Mr. Haden followed her in 1953. Their son, Maurice, continued to live there until his death in 1959, and the house remained in the family until 1963 making a family tenure of 69 years.
By chance, Mrs. Robert E. L. Cook of Dallas, Texas, heard that this stately, elegant old house was for sale together with all its furnishings and appointments. Being a woman of discriminating taste, a student of the arts, and possessing a deep knowledge of cultural values, Mrs. Cook immediately recognized the interior of the house as a veritable museum, reflecting every aspect of gracious living at the turn of the century. From the graceful three piece Louis XVI parlor set of mahogany upholstered in French tapestry and the cut glass of the "Brilliant Period" in china cabinet to the hair receiver on the dresser or bureau upstairs, everything looked as it if might be in the same position it was placed in 1894. The house, set of bois d' arc posts, was built of the finest cypress and as sturdy as the day it was built. Mr. and Mrs. Cook bought the house at once as their second home, and have proceeded to renovate it, strictly adhering to its 19th century charm.
The magnificent stairway of mellowed pine has been carefully polished though the years until its rope-tuned bannister glows like henna colored satin. It has three turnings, the first landing being the alcove of the cupola. It has three turnings, the first landing being the alcove of the cupola. A delicate fretwork arch separates the long hall, creating a delightful reception area at the entrance. Although little is known of the craftsmen Martin and Krause, the German influence seen in the mantelpiece in the parlor indicates that at least one of them must have received his apprenticeship in Germany. Mrs. Joe B. Haden, Jr. relates that according to family history that when the house was being built that the plans and blueprints were locked up every night. But one day the plans were missing when the receptacle was unlocked; no knowledge could account for them. After three days, they reappeared just as mysteriously as they had disappeared. The mystery was solved, however, when a few months later a house with very similar plans was noticed being erected not too far away.
This house merits preservation not only for the part it has played in the social history of Ladonia, but because of its architectural significance and beauty.
Haden House 1896
Built 1894 by craftsmen Martin and Krause for local merchant, J. B. Haden, and wife Elizabeth. Remained in Haden family until 1963.
Cypress construction with ornate gingerbread trim. Interior has fine woodwork. Late Victorian architecture.
Location: In Ladonia at Richard and Bonham streets.
This home is a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark and is also on the National Register of Historic Places.