John P. Simpson (Oct. 17, 1806 - Jan. 13 1884)
Significant for his contributions to the formative years of Bonham and Fannin County, Tennessee native John P. Simpson arrived in Texas about 1837. In that year he signed the petition to create Fannin County and and began to farm his land in this area. An early elected official, Simpson served as county sheriff and as county judge (then called the chief justice) in the 1840s and 1850s. He donated land that became Bonham's downtown commercial district and the courthouse square. Simpson also served a time as head of the Fannin Guards, which provided frontier defense for this region.
Location: Willow Wild Cemetery, Bonham
More information is on the Fannin County GenWeb site.