Early Honey Grove settlers bought land for a Union Church in 1855, with the sanctuary to be shared by Methodist, Baptist, Christian and Cumberland Presbyterian congregations, each holding services one Sunday per month. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church officially organized in February 1858 with Rev. R. M. Rudolph as minister and S. Sloan and Orville Smith as elders. The Cumberland Church bought its own lot on Main Street in 1881 and met in a school building before their new sanctuary, designed by architect Joseph Scott and Built by contractors J. S. and J.B. Boone, was completed in 1884. The congregation also hosted the first meeting in the Honey Grove tabernacle completed in 1907. At about this time, the name changed from Cumberland Presbyterian to Main Street Presbyterian Church. In 1911-12, a brick veneer was applied to the sanctuary, and a portion of the First Presbyterian building became the fellowship hall.
Five historic congregations comprise the current Main Street Presbyterian Church. After uniting with First Presbyterian Church in Honey Grove (organized 1861) in 1911, Main Street Presbyterian Church also incorporated members from Rock Point Presbyterian Church (organized 1891) in 1939, Spring Hill Presbyterian Church (organized 1854) in 1966, and Dial United Presbyterian Church (organized 1846) in 1993. Main Street participates with other churches in the Greater Honey Grove Ministerial Alliance in 5th Sunday singings and community Thanksgiving services, as well as joint vacation Bible school programs and contributions to those in need. In February 2013 the historic church building was destroyed by fire. The congregation continues as an important part of the spiritual community of Honey Grove.
Location: 404 Main Street, Honey Grove
Detailed information on the Main Street Presbyterian Church, as well as the Rock Point Presbyterian Church, the Spring Hill Presbyterian Church and the Dial Presbyterian Church, is on the website of the Honey Grove Preservation League. The photo below is of the Main Street Presbyterian Church building which was destroyed by fire in February 2013.