Back Row: Sis. Rosaline Branch, Sis. Mary L. Bennett, Sis. Lessie Fuller and Sis. Marie Phillips
Middle Row: Sis. Doris McKinney, Sis. Ann Dunlap, Sis. Jimmie L. Perry and Sis. Helen Carter
Front Row: Sis. Mabel Ballard, Sis. Cleo DeGrate, Sis. Lille Stewart, Sis. Doris McCullough and Sis. Lodean McNealy
New Home Baptist Church History
In 1909, a small group of Christians had a great desire to worship together. On the corner of Maple and Jones street and under the leadership of Reverend T. E. Higgs, New Home Baptist Church was organized.
As the membership grew the members saw a great need for enlarging the building to worship. Under the leadership of Reverend S. T. Floyd the church was rebuilt in 1921.
The men and women who were in this movement were deasons: Bud Piles, A. D. Mosley, Sam Whiteside, Thuston Whiteside, Tom Brackeen, George Gilbreath, Sisters, Fannie Piles, Lillie Mosley, Mrs. Sam Whiteside, Addie Whiteside, Rose Brackeen, Elmire Gilbreath, Hattie Moore and Sister Lilley.
The first Missionary Society was organized in 1909. Sister Hattie Moore was the first president. Sister Addie Whiteside and Sister Rose Brackeen were the secretaries and Sister Mable Ballard was the treasurer.
Later the following men were added to the Board: Brothers Joe Parker, Bishop Wilson, Leon Smith Sr., and Jim Ballard. A year later the following men were added: Hobart Harvey, Milard Harvey, and Jasper Stephen. Later these brothers also served on the Board: Jim Parker, Russian Phillips and Palmer Rayford. At the present we have serving on the Deacon Board: Hobart Harvey, Senior Deacon; Joe B. Smith, Chairman; Wallace J. Thompson, Vice-Chairman; Leon Smith Jr., Assistant Chairman; Henry Coleman; Theodore Morgan, Treasurer; Samuel Patterson; Fred Degrates and James Henson.
These are the names of our past and present presidents of our Missionary Society: Hattie Moore (deceased), Rose Handcock (deceased), Ella Parker (deceased), Willie Mae Wilson (resign), Ida Mae Smith (resign), Savator Parker (resign) and Gertie Brown Henson, president.
The church has continued to progress through the years. Some additions were made during the pastorate of Rev. O. R. Short. A parsonage was built. Cafeteria, kitchen and bathrooms were built under the administration of Rev. H. W. Windfield. Our seats, fixtures and P.A. system was under the administration of Rev. James A. Starks. The Baptistery, addition to the parsonage, a Baby Grand piano, candelabra, tiles on the kitchen floor and both bathrooms was under the administration of Rev. Edward L. Montgomery. New Home Church Bus was purchased while under the leadership of Rev. I. L. Patrick. New Home Baptist church has been wonderfully blessed with our present pastor, the Rev. T. R. McNealy.
We are grateful to the menand women who put their all and all on the alter for this church. We shall always work hard to continue to make New Home history and hope that the next generation will be as proud of us as we are of the pioneers before us.
New Home Baptist Church
The church was organized in 1909, rebuilt in 1921 and as of 1984 was 75 years old under the pastorage of Rev. S. T. Floyd.