This beautiful brick home, which is located on Fifth Street, was built in 1871 by Mr. J. M. Nunn. It was the first brick home built in the city, and it was built of bricks manufactured in Bonham, at the Reich Brick Yard on Powder Creek. The front porch was removed around 1900 and the portecochere added at that time. Mr. Nunn owned a dry goods store in Bonham that was located where the First National Bank's Drive Inn is located today. His son, Henry L. Nunn, was a partner in a newswear store called Nunn-Jones which was a forerunner of Leatherwood's. It eventually was located in the same location. Henry Nunn later founded Nunn-Bush Shoes in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Status: This house was demolished sometime after 1992.
Old Nunn Home to be Honored In Ceremonies
It was in 1871 that John Milton Nunn, who had come out to Texas in the 1850s to accept employment with a counsin, C. C. Alexander, built the home that was to last him through his lifetime and become a landmark in modern-day Bonham.
This beautiful French Gothic home was built to stand the ravages of time and is one of four Fannin county homes which will be recognized with a Texas State Historical Building Medallion Sunday through the efforts of the Fannin County Historical Survey committee with Mrs. H. A. Burow as chairman.
Nunn was born Sept. 3, 1836 in Maribone, Ky., and at the age of 14 was selling and trading horses to pay for an education. He was married to Sallie Heiston who came to Texas with her parents from Campbellsville, Ky., in 1850, and settled in and named Kentuckytown in Grayson county.
After working with his counsin for some eyars, Nunn entered business for himself, and prospered. He did not see active service in the Civil War but did serve the Confederacy in mail and express.
The French Gothic home was a show place of the times - even as it is today. The materials were brought in from Jefferson, 160 miles away, and the bricks used in its construction were handmade by former slaves.
Every wall of every room goes straight down 14 feet and rests of a solid foundation of heavy bois d' arc logs. The outer walls are 14 inches thick and some of the boards in the attic are two feet thick, being hewn from local timbers.
The beautiful old stairway leads to the second floor from the entrance hall. The high ceilings of the very large rooms add to the loveliness of the antique furnishings of the home.
Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Rainey purchased the home in 1918 and moved into it in 1919.
Mrs. Rainey, who is visiting in California, will be unable to be in Bonham for the presentation of the Medallion.
She writes "This home has seen a 'heap of living' and has put its 'loving wooden arms' around the Nunn and Rainey families and the 'blessed old home' has brought much happiness to many.
Mr. and Mrs. Nunn had seven children, and one, Henry L. Nunn of LaJolla, Calif., has made it possible for the medallion to be placed on the home.
Receiving the medallion will be John Milton Nunn, a son of the late Charles G. Nunn and Mrs. Nell Gass Nunn, and Mrs. Bobbie Rainer Sublett, daughter of Mrs. Rainey.
Children of Mrs. Rainey are Mrs. Ida Lee White of Bardena, Calif., Mrs. Bobbie Sublett of Dallas, Mrs. Virginia Conolly of Corpus Christi and Roger Rainey, Jr., of Corpus Christi.
Mrs. Sam Meade, whose late husband was a relative of both the Nunn and Rainey families, will give the history of the home and present the medallion.
Nun is a grandson of the original owner of the hisotric home and Mrs. Sublett is a daughter of Mrs. Rainey, the present owner.