In 1916, three years after he began his career in the U.S. Congress, Sam Rayburn built this home for his parents, who had left their farm at Windom. The 2-story house had a front porch on teach floor. In 1934 architect W. B. Yarborough enlarged "The Home Place", turning the porches into a w-story portico. When not in Washington, Rayburn lived here with other members of the family. Deeded to the Texas Historical Commission in 1972, the house is now (1974) a museum.
Directions: From Bonham, take US 82 west 1.5 miles.
Read more about the Sam Rayburn House Museum.