Early settlers to this area included Melchezedec Self, who arrived in 1845; William Newton Wright, who came around 1852; and brothers John and Henry Whittenberg, who came in the early 1860s. These men, their families and others established several farming communities throughout this part of Fannin County. These pioneer settlers typically had family burial plots, and early members of the Wright and Self families are buried in the Wright Family Cemetery.
Tradition holds that John M. Gross deeded land for this community cemetery sometime before 1871. By that time, others had been buried here. The first known burial lis that of John Gwaltney, whose gravesite dates to the early 1860s. In 1878, W. P. and Louisa Bennett deeded land at this site to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In 1880, Shiloh School was established on adjacent property, and it remained in operation until 1940.
Today, Shiloh Cemetery is the final resting place for generations of area residents. it is also the site of family reunions and annual homecomings. Maintained by an association since 1952, it is an important link to the community's history.
Location: From Honey Grove, go north on FM 100 for 6.9 miles, and then turn west on CR 2730 and drive for about 2.5 miles.
Information on Shiloh Cemetery is on the Fannin County GenWeb site.