The Texas Department of Agriculture through the Family Land Heritage Program honors families who have owned and operated a continuous agricultural operation for 100 years or more. Below is information on farms and ranches in Fannin County that have been so honored. The text below is from publications of the Texas Department of Agriculture.
J. H. Kincaid Farm. 1882 Two miles east of Dodd City
Founder: J. H. Kincaid of Tennessee
1983 Owners: James S. and Phyllis J. Moss, Dodd City
When the Civil War ended, the southern states sustained the greatest destruction. Many Southerners, soldiers and civilians alike, left or never returned to their native territories. The War Between the States and its accompanying legacy of tribulation prompted J. H. Kincaid to leave Tennessee for Texas. J. H. Kincaid came to Texas in 1870 with his family and settled near lands owned by other members of his family. In 1882 Kincaid traded a farm near the Ravenna Community for 160 acres owned by Dr. J. M. Terry. Dr. Terry gave up medicine to go into the newspaper business and founded the historic newspaper, The Bonham Daily Favorite. The 160 acres obtained from Terry joined the lands owned by Kincaid’s family prior to the Civil War. These lands were farmed by Kincaid, his wife, the former Louise Walker, and their child, Martha (Mattie) Rosah. Cattle, corn and cotton were the principal products of the Kincaid farm. Kincaid served in Alexander’s Regiment, Company I of the Confederate Army and was captured at the Battle of Vicksburg, spending the rest of the war in an underground prison in New Orleans. After the war, the Kincaid homeplace in Fannin County, Texas, became a gathering place for Confederate veterans where many reunions of Confederate soldiers were held.
Mattie Kincaid married Horace Hulfaker Smith. Although they were never owners of record, the property they lived on passed through them to their children. The children were Georgia (Barnett), Whitsett, Maud Lena (Wilson), Frank and Harvey Lou (Williams), of whom Georgia was the eldest. She acquired the title to the property in 1930, also producing cotton, corn and cattle, as did her parents and grandparents. Married three times, first to William Irvin Moss in 1898, then to George Arledgein 1918, and finally to William Henry Barnett in 1925, Georgia passed the property on to her son. James Harvey Moss, in 1940. Her only other child was Horace B., who died in 1930. James Harvey and his wife, Doris, expanded the range of crops they farmed to include wheat, oats, alfalfa hay, as well as cattle, cotton and corn. James Harvey and Doris had two sons, James S. and Joe D., as well as a stepdaughter, Barbara Moore. James Harvey died in 1982 and Doris died in 1983, but prior to their deaths, the original 160 acres were divided between James S. and Joe D.
Today, the great-great-grandson of founder J. H. Kincaid, James S. Moss, grows alfalfa, grain and hay and raises Arabian horses on a 170-acre spread where he lives with his wife. Phyllis, and their three daughters, Judith Lynn, Brenda Sue and Samantha Lea. They continue to farm the land in accordance with sound farming methods and soil conservation practices to improve the crop and pasture acreage and have built their new home on their portion of the original J. H. Kincaid Farm.
Kirkpatrick Ivanhoe Farm, 1901 - Twelve miles northeast of Bonham on County Road 2205.
1901-1931 A. H. Kirkpatrick, S. F. Kirkpatrick
1931-1973 Joe Kirkpatrick, Jess Kirkpatrick, Basil Kirkpatrick, Dorothy Kirkpatrick
1973-1982 Joe Kirkpatrick
1982-2001 Linda Kirkpatrick
A.H. Kirkpatrick was bom in Tennessee and came to Texas to settle in Fannin County where he purchased 45 acres of land from R.E. and L.P. Bradshaw on August 29, 1901. The family raised pigs, cattle, oats, wheat, vegetables and cotton. In 1924, A.H. sold the northern half of the estate, and his son, S.F. (Silas Frank), retained ownership of the southern 22.5 acres. S.F. married May Smith, and they had four children - Joe, Jess, Basil and Dorothy.
Joe, Jess, Basil and Dorothy acquired the land after S.F. passed away in January 1931. The families worked together to raise sweet potatoes, cantaloupes and hay. Joe married Ethel, and they had one daughter, Linda Kay. Jess married Marie, and they had three children - Ronnie, Bobbie and Nancy Lyn. Basil married Trudie, and they had two children - Charles and Jack. Dorothy married Frank Myers, and they had four children - Silas, Paul, Ricky and Ann.
Joe purchased land from his siblings and acquired the entire farm by 1973, growing cantaloupes and hay. His daughter, Linda, acquired the land in 1982 and is responsible for it today.
Acres in original parcel: 45 Acres held today: 22.5. Crops or livestock raised: 1901 — Cattle, pigs, cotton, oats, vegetables and wheat; 2001 — Coastal Bermuda hay.
Perry Ranch. 1858— Five miles south of Windom
FOUNDER: William Goin of Alabama
1982 OWNERS: Mr. and Mrs. Roy Newman Perry, Fort Worth
William Goin came from his birthplace in Alabama by way of Kentucky to Texas in order to farm new land. He acquired 170 acres of Fannin County land in December of 1858. Farm production from 1858 until 1883 included cotton, corn, cattle, and hogs. William was aided in his work on the farm by his wife Annie and their four children: Washington, Columbus C., Lucy Jane, and Johnson.
Lucy Jane, daughter of the founder, inherited 28 1/3 acres and later acquired 37 1/2 acres from her brothers’ holdings. Lucy Jane married Monroe Jackson Perry and they lived for many years on her Heritage acres with their children Ruby (Bell), Henry Earl, and Newman Travis. Monroe Perry once hired a boy to shock oats for $1.50 a day on the farm. That boy’s name was Sam Rayburn and the Perry family enjoyed a life-long friendship with the famous Texan.
The land passed to Newman Travis, grandson of the founder, in 1971. Cotton, wheat, and cattle were the main agricultural products during the four years the land was in the possession of Newman Travis and his wife Christene. Their children were Mary Helen (Butler) and Roy Newman.
Roy Newman received ownership of 65 5/6 acres from the original family farm in 1975 and has added 68 acres since. His parents reside in a house built on the ranch in 1909 and manage operation of the land for their son. They have converted the land once used for crops to improved grasses and concentrate on the production of cattle. They still make use of one barn which dates from the founder’s period.
Price Ranch. 1854. Four miles south of Savoy on FM 1752
1854-1858 Robert McPhail
1958 - 1869 Elizabeth Jane (McPhail) May
1869 - 1906 John M. May
1906 - 1957 Joshua B. May
1957-1958 Elizabeth J. (May) Jones
1958-2005 David and Betty (Jones) Price
Robert McPhail was born in Robeson County, North Carolina, and moved to Texas in 1819 after he married. Robert and his wife, Debora, had one daughter, Elizabeth Jane. On September 23,1846, Robert began homesteading 80 acres in Fannin County. He acquired title to the land in 1854 and expanded his holdings to 200 acres during his life. The family raised cotton, small grains and dairy cattle.
Elizabeth Jane acquired title to 160 acres in 1858. Elizabeth and her husband, Joshua May, had one son, John M. May. The couple added 40 acres to their property. John M. May was the next owner of the land, acquiring title to 184 acres in 1869 and raising cotton and grain. John and his wife, Amanda Jane, had five sons - Joshua B., Bruce, Wirt, Jerome and H.Y.
In 1906 Joshua B. May acquired 83 acres. He added 117 acres to his property and raised cotton, small grains and cattle. Joshua married Elizabeth Moorehead, and the couple had one daughter, Elizabeth J.
Elizabeth J. and her husband, Oscar Lee Jones, acquired 200 acres in 1957.The couple had three children - Betty Lee, Ben Robert and Mary Jeanette. The original house built in 1855 was torn down in 1975, and the current home was built in its place.Their daughter Betty and her husband, David Price, lived in the original house and raised cattle, cotton and grain on the land.
Today, Betty and David Price own and operate 290 acres, which include the 80 acres homesteaded by the founder, Robert McPhail. They bought the land from Betty’s mother, Elizabeth, and her grandfather, Joshua B. May. Betty and David have four children - Rebecca Lynn (Price) Thomas, Deborah Kay (Price) Casada, David Anthony and Pamela Sue (Price) Fitzgerald.
The Price Ranch was recognized in 1975 for 100 years in agricultural operation by the Family Land Heritage Program.
Acres in original parcel: 80; Crops or livestock raised: 1854 - Cotton, small grains and dairy cattle; 2005 - Cattle and hay.
As told by Pamela Sue (Price) Fitzgerald, great-great-great-great-granddaughter, and Betty Lee (Jones) and David Price, great-great-great-granddaughter and great-great-great-grandson-in-law of the founder.
L.B. Teftetter Home Place, 1885. One and one-half miles from Bailey on FM 1552
1885-1929 Leonidas B. and Clarissa (Sudderth) Tefteller
1929-1965 Tommie (Tefteller) and William Hale
1965-1987 Margaret Marie (Hale) McLeod
Leonidas and Clarissa Tefteller settled the land that had been patented to Clarissa's first husband, J. G. London. They were very active in farm organizations and in the Portland community. Their daughter, Tommie, and her husband, William Hale, acquired 40 acres in 1920 and the rest in 1929. During their ownership the farm was modernized, and they were also involved in agricultural activities and in the community. Their daughter, Margaret Marie McLeod, now owns the property, and her brother, Lynwood, operates the farm.
Acres in original parcel: 80 Acres still retained: 80
Crops or livestock raised: 1885 - Com, oats, wheat, cotton, grain, and sweet potatoes: 1987 - Wheat, cotton, and milo.